Oil question for Lubedude.....

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I made my quarterly trip to Wallyworld today and happened by the oil section. I found their house brand of synthetic oil available in five quart containers. While reading the label on one type of the several type containers, I saw the words, "Manufactured for high mileage vehicles." I continued to read the label to find if the "source" oil company was listed on the Walmart brand. It wasn't.<br /><br />I then remembered where I saw the exact wording of the high mileage vehicle oil, as it was on a container of Valvoline, which was a natural oil. <br /><br />I'm just curious if Wally's oil is the same as Valvoline and if so, do you have an opinion of the quaity of "Wally's" synthetic oil? Wally's was only about half the price of the name brand synthetic's. :confused: Thanks.........<br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil question for Lubedude.....

Non-boating tech topic.

LubeDude

Admiral

Sorry I took a while to answer.<br /><br />Wally World Synthetic oil is a group III, [Hydrocracked, highly refined], which puts it right in there with Castrols Syntec. That doesnt make it a bad oil though. I believe that there synthetics are made by Warren labs which is Valvoline but dont expect them to be the same exact oil. You could easily push this oil to 5,000 to 7,000 mile change intervals depending on the vehicle and type of driving.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you "L.D."<br /><br />I rarely let any of my vehicles go as high as 3000 miles before an oil and filter change, with the exception of my wife's Explorer. She does most of her driving on the freeway. I think I'll try the synthetic in her's first.<br /><br />Thank's again.......Bob in Calif...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

BIC,if she has any oil leak at all,even a tiny one,I would not recommend using a synthetic no matter who makes it.The leak WILL get worse.Charlie

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> BIC,if she has any oil leak at all,even a tiny one,I would not recommend using a synthetic no matter who makes it.The leak WILL get worse.Charlie
Group IIIs dont have that problem near as much as IVs and Vs.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />
Group IIIs dont have that problem near as much as IVs and Vs. [/QB][/quote]<br />I still have no interest in making a leak worse even if its a little worse.I would still only recommend synthetic on a motor that does not leak or seep a drop.Charlie

LubeDude

Admiral

I should have near as much if at all. I believe its the esters in the Synthetics that cause the extra amount of "Creeping" with synthetics. I wont deny that you will have more of a leak with synthetics if you have one already.