Radiator flush kit fitting? SOLUTION IMPLEMENTED*PIC*

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I need to get a couple of flush kit Tee fittings as pictured below except I need them in one inch. All I have been able to find are ones that are 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 inch.<br /><br />Anyone know of any of these type fittings that are one inch. I want to put them on the raw water feed hoses to each of my marine waterjacket manifolds. Come winter time, I would remove the caps and pour in antifreeze until it began to dribble out of the outdrive. That way I will not have to pull off hardened hoses nor drain the water jackets. Another benefit is that it will keep a rust inhibitor in the manifolds for the winter.<br /><br />
A190.jpg

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Radiator flush kit fitting? SOLUTION IMPLEMENTED*PIC*

Autozone sells just the T's, don't know if they go up to 1". I would just make one out of brass plumbing parts. That's what I'm going to do next time I want to install that in a vehicle. You can make just about anything if you wonder around the hardware store long enough. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> Autozone sells just the T's, don't know if they go up to 1". I would just make one out of brass plumbing parts. That's what I'm going to do next time I want to install that in a vehicle. You can make just about anything if you wonder around the hardware store long enough. :D
Yeah ZmOz, that's the problem, I've spent too much time and money there this last year. Too much of what I needed in my resto had to be fabbed. I was hoping to avoid that this time.

KRS

Banned

I bought that kit and installed it in my car (the prestone one from walmart right?), worked really well, once I figured it out.<br /><br />As for the size, gotta make one.

ZmOz

Captain

You didn't expect anything you need for your boat to be cheap didya? ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How about making the parts from copper fittings? You can get them all at a hardware store including 1"

dolluper

Captain

Can't work on an engine if your not a plumber and electrian :D :D Besides brass or copper would be better than PLASTIC crackers

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You guys are all tough! :p I could make a couple, I suppose but I just don't want no metal parts banging up my new finish. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Besides, as to durability, those feed hoses, coming out of the heat exchanger to the manifolds, never get past luke warm and they are not under pressure, so the plastic ones would hold up fine.

ZmOz

Captain

How 'bout a plastic barbed T, about $0.49, and another short peice of 1" hose on the inlet. Then plug that hole with either a barbed plastic plug, or buy a hose end repair fitting and a hose cap.<br /><br />I know the brass parts can really add up quick...seveal times I've gone to make something and scrapped the project because I'm not spending $30 on brass. :rolleyes:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> How 'bout a plastic barbed T, about $0.49, and another short peice of 1" hose on the inlet. Then plug that hole with either a barbed plastic plug, or buy a hose end repair fitting and a hose cap.
Now that's gettin closer to a reasonable alternative ZmOz. Thanks. I'll keep lookin for the one piece solution but if it doesn't exsist....

ZmOz

Captain

McMaster has a 1" threaded T...though it looks like they only sell them 10 at a time. Search for 5463K569 at mcmaster.com.

D

DJ

I don't know what you're working on, but MAKE SURE you replace Gold antifreeze with Gold and Green with green.<br /><br />THEY ARE NOT COMAPTIBLE, even with a flush.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> McMaster has a 1" threaded T...though it looks like they only sell them 10 at a time. Search for 5463K569 at mcmaster.com.
Looks like that might be the only one piece ticket I'm going to find. Good work ZmOz.<br /><br />Say, ya don't need a couple of 1" barbed T's do ya? :p

ZmOz

Captain

plumbingsupply.com may also have a similar part sold individually. A good hardware store or plumbing supply place might be able to order such a thing cheaply too. Give me long enough, I'll find a way to do it cheaper! :D :p

Dunaruna

Admiral

A store that sells irrigation stuff.

D

DJ

A store that sells irrigation stuff.<br />
Be careful. Allot of that stuff is not rated for 200 degrees F+

Dunaruna

Admiral

I agree DJ, but boom said it was for an area that had no pressure and didn't get hot.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Home Cheepo to the rescue. Taking Aldo's cue re irrigation supplies, I stopped there today and they had 1" Poly Propylene barbed T's with 1/2, 3/4 and one inch female side out fittings. Just need to screw the appropiate sized pipe plug into the side outlet. I would have preffered a standard garden hose male thread and cap but these will work nicely at $1 each. BTB 1/2" brass pipe plugs were $2.67 each. :mad:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks to all the help, I've found an even better solution than I originally envisioned. It is so because this has a much lower profile than the radiator flush kit fittings. I will install them in the manifold supply lines using the Napa heat to shrink hose clamp/bands. They will look very neat and be easy to open to pour the antifreeze down thru.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Oops, I deleted some of the previous pictures from PhotoBucket, that's why the blanks (red x's)<br /><br />Here are the fittings that I inserted into my manifold feed lines. Now it will be easy to unscrew the plugs and pour anti-freeze into the manifolds both for freeze protection and rust protections. I'll no longer have to bust my knuckles wiggling off hoses that have hardened and stuck to the manifolds.<br /><br />
DSCF0809.jpg