brake problems PLEASE HELP ASAP

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hate to repost this but Im suppose to be leaveing in 9 hours for a road trip and need a answer asap.------ <br />---- I have a 1995 ford f-150 that had a brake line come apart about 8 inches from the end(by brakes)_ . It has this rubber boot with some type of connector under the boot. It came apart while trying to back to a trailer going up hill .I put it back together and it has held and no leaked brake fluid no matter how hard I hit the brakes or pump them. My question is will it hold ?Im leaveing for a road trip tommorrow and cant get to a garage until Thursday

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: brake problems PLEASE HELP ASAP

Not a mechanic but have worked on brakes. As soon as the line came apart you must of lost some fluid , and also got air into line. I think it needs to be bled properly . Also why would a line just come off? I would have these checked before a road trip.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Just now noticed your other post. That rubber line is for the transition . In other words you can't run a hard line all the way from brake resovior, movement would eventualy break it. Still think it should be checked for air and bled. If it is a front break they do alot of the work.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

This doesn't make much sense to me. If a brake line came loose, it would have shot brake fluid all over the place. Hydraulic brake systems run at PSI's that are astronomical...in the 1,000's. There is no way to just "put it back together" and have it hold.<br /><br />If it's not blowing apart now after you reassembled it, it's because you have a huge air bubble in the line which is not allowing enough pressure to move the caliper. This means you have no braking power to that wheel. And you run the risk of the air getting into the rest of the system, as well as blowing the line again and losing all your fluid from that half of the system.<br /><br />I wouldn't drive it until the line that came apart was replaced and the system fully bled.

dolluper

Captain

Would that be the ABS electrical connector that you are speaking of that goes to the sensor if so your brake dash will come on if it's not connected right.If your taking steel line going to rubber hose don't drive it till it's fixed your life counts on it.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all who replied . I put my trip off 1 day so a friend could show me how its repaired .I replaced a couple brake lines and all is well! <br />The reason I was so worried was because im going to the mountians for 3 days and the brakes gotta be right on those mountian roads.!