Honda Lawn Tractors ... Any good?

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
A guy on another forum has a honda twin cylinder tractor for sale, says its great and always kept up etc etc<br /><br />anyone have experience with the honda? the pressurized oil system sounds great, should last longer than those splash lubed Briggs I/C motors

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda Lawn Tractors ... Any good?

Certainly a great motor (2 cyl, water cooled), and as a tractor, certainly over-built (it's a Honda).<br /><br />But, Honda is out of the garden tractor business, so replacement parts may be getting harder to find, and/or expensive. Also, I've heard that the quality of the cut, isn't the best - if you're looking to have a showplace lawn, don't use a Honda tractor.<br /><br /> Here's a forum where you'll probably find some more information.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those Splash lubed B&S engines last forever! Most go 20+ years with very little maintainece. There is nothing at all wrong with that design.

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to have a welding shop and I did a lot of repairs on Honda rider decks. The metal was a bit thin and in certain areas when they stamped the deck the metal got pulled REAL thin. Then it would either crack or rust through in a very short time.<br /><br />With that said, I have a Honda Harmony rider that has been totally trouble free. The only part I have had to buy was an airfilter. $26.00 !!!!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I have one that is 15 years old and tho it smokes a lot and uses oil, it fires right up, every time ... 12 horse I/C motor<br /><br />maybe im getting old, i dunno, but I have a few acres to cut and although that lawn boy is a cadillac of tractors (cruise control, auto trans, plush bench seat) that noisy briggs gets wearisome ... its a rock solid reliable workhorse, dont get me wrong, but four hours of Mobil One smoke and that slight but noticeable vibration and Im just done, I dont want to deal with it anymore. And there are three more properties to cut!<br /><br />Thanks for the input!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

In 1989 I bought a Honda R9 single blade lawn rider. It was very obviously higher quality than the competition. In 1992, or so, I bought a mulching kit that was intended for the later more powerful R11 model.(bigger load on the mechanisms) It cost about $600-$800 more than the Snappers and Toros of the day. I have used it every week ( 6 mo/yr) to mow about a 1/4 acre of close cropped weeds on my back 40.<br /><br />It has been flawless. The only repair needed was a new starter solenoid that cost $100. So I adapted an $8.00 Ford style solenoid and away I went. I think, like their cars, it was a wise investment. It is now 16 years old.

Skinnywater

Commander

I'm on my second year with a Honda mower.<br />Never had one start so easy. I do not like the mulching blades.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br /> I do not like the mulching blades.
I do not like disposing of bagged grass! :p :D