Ornithologists?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As most of you know, I feed hummingbirds. My flock has grown to around 50 this year. The wars over the feeders are constant entertainment.<br /><br />I sometimes get a ruby throat male in the spring or fall, but most of the year my li'l buddies are what I think are black chinned hummers. The females and young cannot be told apart on live birds.<br /><br />According to my Peterson Field Guide my adult males match the description. . . .Black chin, white collar, no fork in the tail. . . but:<br /><br />According to Perterson the throat above the white collar shows blue-violet in the right light. I have not seen this blue-violet. What I do get is a brilliant ruby red, almost flourescent. <br /><br />These are definitely not ruby throats. They are smaller. Ruby throats don't have the white collar and their color is visible in most light.<br /><br />I will try to get a pic or two, but it is very difficult because when it appears it lasts for less than a second, then the light changes.<br /><br />Do I have a subspecies or hybrids, or is Peterson wrong?

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ornithologists?

hummingbird.jpg
Here is a picture I found of a black chin that might help, looks like some blue violet under chin.

JB

Well, that's definitely the bird that Peterson describes as a black chin. Thanks, Thumbs. :) <br /><br />My males look like that except that the throat patch is larger and bright ruby red, but only when the light is right. The white collar is more distinct, too.<br /><br />Gotta set up the camera and try to get a pic of "P-51" (he is boss bird).

Drowned Rat

Captain

JB. You should have Anna's hummers there this time of year. The males look like this.
annasm.jpg
<br /><br />The red throat is only visible in the right light, otherwise it looks sort of black or dark brownish grey. They also have an unmistakable song that's different from other hummers. They have sort of a squeaky warble sound they sing. No other hummers really have a song but use calls consisting of chirps and squeaks.

JB

Well, it turns out that I didn't need an ornithologist, I needed better glasses.<br /><br />Got out the old Navy 10X50s and saw what I couldn't see before.<br /><br />My huge flock of tiny buzzers includes a few Annas (Thanks DR. :) ) and a few Ruby Throats as well as the Black Chinned.<br /><br />P-51 has been deposed as boss bird by a male Ruby Throat. What should I call him, F-22? :)