House Leveling

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone attempted leveling an old house. The subject in question is a 1940 pier and beam home with an add on much later. Several door openings are trapeziod in shape and the floor has some minor sags, with one end notcibly sloping away from the rest of the hosue. The addition has settled in its own unique way different from the main home. There is a crawl space of about 18" t most and down to almost nill up grade.<br />I have read alot about going slow with small screw jacks or hydraulic jacks..an 1/4" every few weeks sistering floor joists etc<br />Any comments or experience?

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: House Leveling

You're on the right track. Never go too fast. Be EXTREMELY careful. A water level is a great tool to have also. Its basiclly clear hose with water in it.

Ron G

Commander

we made our jacks they are screw jacks,just go slow ,in my house noe i have the opposite problem grandfather put srew jacks under 30 years ago now the foundation has settled so i have a hump,.just another project to work on,

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You really should replace the piers one at a time. Levealing with screw jacks will work but you will need a solid pier to support it. <br /><br />When I was 17 I had a job leveling houses that were built on wood piers. I used to dig out a pier and place a footing in ground at about 5' and build up a new pier with 16" cement block. You have to prevent future movement.<br /><br />We used to use slate shims everytime we jacked the house.<br /><br />Be careful or NONE of your doors and windows may not work.<br /><br />Bob

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have done it on several old houses. Because I was hired to do it I couldnt wait months. Try to identify what caused the sagging. Have the piles sunk, or rotted away just below ground level (old timber piles).<br /><br />I start at the lowest point. If the house has a chimney, chances are that that will be the highest point, and the level you are trying to achieve.<br /><br />The more jacks you have the better, I have found Hydraulic jacks easier to use, including a couple of small trolley jacks.<br /><br />I also have baulks of timber about 5"x5" by about two feet long and several other sizes to accommodate uneven ground.<br /><br />I set up several jacks(with 10"x2"pads under them to spread the load out) along a bearer and go along and jack each one until seriously loaded and then move to the next jack and so on . I use a piece of quarter inch plate between the jack and the bearer so the jack doesnt compress into the wood.<br /><br />Once each jack has been raised a bit you can often get a bit more from each jack in the line. I set up the baulks of timber in a two by two criss cross pattern as high as I can get it so that if a jack fails it will stop things from falling more than 1/2" or so. These baulks are more stable than the jacks and can hold things when the jack is taken out and moved to another place.<br /><br />If the piles have sunk, the remedy is to increase the footprint size of the concrete around the pile.(fewer pounds per square inch on the ground.)<br /><br />If they have rotted off, dig out the remains and clear back to solid ground. Once you have started achieving some sort of level you have to consider the position of the new piles, which can be awkward because of your jacking points.<br /><br />I like to put 4" of concrete under the pile, which I let go off for several days before placing the pile and embedding with more concrete around it. I use tanalised foundation piles, the advantage of having the concrete in the base of the foundation is that you can get an accurate measurement from it. I cut 1/4" over length as there is usually some settlement when the load is reapplied to the pile. Small adjustments can be made by using opposed wedges if neccesary.<br /><br />On houses very close to the ground it is actually easier to remove the floor to get at the job.<br /><br />Sistering joists shouldnt be neccessary as the bearers that the joists sit on are what takes the load. Sagging joists are a different issue from pile problems.<br /><br />It is hard to get a perfect level on old houses as they were often added onto after the original level had moved. Try for the best acceptable compromise.<br /><br />Good luck.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies. If I end up buying this house and taking on the job I will wait till fall....don't want to be in a small space with spiders and snakes; just a personal thing. But I am gathering information

toomanyboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Use a ditital water level,It works perfect,you can rent them,they use them to level modular homes,its easy.