Palm Pilot/PDA

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer
I hope this is the right forum for this question. I am looking into getting a PDA. My question is what should I look for, and look against? Any suggestions as to what specific model or brand. I am not looking at spending much more that $125-$150, so please do not recommend any above that. I do appreciate the help and suggestions.<br /><br />Thank you<br />David L. Moore

demsvmejm

Re: Palm Pilot/PDA

I express a thank you to whichever Mod moved this for me. :)

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

How much and what will you be using it for?<br /><br />I prefer windows operating system versus Palm it should not matter much either way they both work.<br /><br />I would go to a few places and check them out in person to see which one feels/looks the best and if your going to be manualy entering your data check which keyboard you like best.<br /><br />Most of the PDA's today are decent it boils down to each persons taste. IMO most people will not use their PDA's as much or at all after a couple of months, and then there are others like me that could not live with out it.<br /><br />Good Luck

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is my $.02<br /><br />If you want basic functionality, buy which ever one is cheapest or looks/feels best to you. Both Palm and PPC will synch to your computer and will serve you just fine. This is the category that you would probably be in.<br /><br />If you want feature-rich applications, data access via 802.11, or Blue Tooth, consider a PPC.<br /><br />If you want a fully integrated phone/PDA/do everything handheld, you should go to a wireless dealer(s) and try them all out. There are many choices including PPC, Palm (Treo), and Blackberry. Individual preference is what is really important in this category.<br /><br /><br />Like PierBridge, I can't function without mine.<br />Good luck!

demsvmejm

I am a new small business owner and I find that I can't remember all the things i need to do, so I was assuming that PDA would help better than my day planner, which is cumbersome and always somewhere else, inside my briefcase. Very inconvenient. I thought I might find it easier to leave the PDA with my cell phone on my desk. Maybe a blackberry/etc would be the way to go.<br /><br />Essentially I'm looking for convenience, portability, scheduling and memo functions. My current cellphone will handle those in limited ways, but is too cumbersome using only the standard 12 buttons.<br /><br />Thank you guys.<br /><br />And as for pierbridges comment, "IMO most people will not use their PDA's as much or at all after a couple of months," sounds like me and my GPS that I just HAD to have. Played with it a couple times and into the desk it went. Sad....

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

David.<br /><br />I like the Palm Vx even though it hasn't been made for a few years. Big sreen, good software, long battery life, and excellent hotsynching ability. You can find them on ebay for between $25 and $60 depending on condition. If you wreck it, you can fix it by replacing the battery or the screen, both available on ebay also, although opening the case is tricky (it's glued together).<br /><br />Just my two cents<br /><br />fp