Basement Exhaust Fan....

ndemge

Commander
Almost done with re-doing the basement.<br /><br />Putting in a full kitchen and a half bath.<br /><br />I need to install an exhaust fan for the bathroom, and for the stove. <br /><br />I have to cut through the side of the house and put in an exhaust port, like you would for a clothes dryer, I'd like to drill only one hole through the house and siding, can I "T" these together? Both fans have a backflow damper to prevent air from coming back the wrong way.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Basement Exhaust Fan....

I am sure that would be okay. Those are usually low cfm fan's and the dryer vent pipe should handle it.

sangerwaker

Commander

You CAN do that, but there will be a major restriction on the stove vent. Most of the stove hoods us 3-1/4" X 10" rectangualr duct. That's 32.5 square inces of duct. If you go down to a 4" duct, that's only 12.5 square inches. Your fan will not move much air and will also be noisier. Most bath fans are 4", so you'll be OK there.

ndemge

Commander

I'm going to have to fab my own hood for over the stove, have some space issues to deal with, was going to make a wood frame, then line the inside with aluminum flashing, then make a pretty outside for it all. I have another hood to take parts and fan from. <br /><br />good point on the 4" duct, as very seldom as this will get used, I think I will just sacrifice the efficiency and noise for the easy install. Thinking of running 4" PVC for most of it.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you should mix bath & kitchen exhaust. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed by most building codes.<br />The cheap backflow dampers built in to the units will probably allow odors from one side into the other.<br />Also if there are any fuel fired devices in the basement like water heater, be sure that when the fans are on they don't cause backdrafting in the flues.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Noel, how bout getting a ventless microwave/hood for the stove and going with the suggestion for the bath? I have really no idea, as I have never even been in a basment. :rolleyes:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I don't know about codes but I think you will get the best performance from separate exhaust vents. Keep the back flow dampers in each line. Its a good idea to have them where you can get to them for cleaning. Sometimes you get hornets or wasps building nests in the exhaust tube and it will need to be accessable.