New Colman AC

nomoe99

Seaman Apprentice
This is in reference to my mobil home AC unit.<br /><br />two years ago my old 25 year old Coleman had the blower fan motor freeze up.<br /> <br />tech put on a new one. this was Jan. 2003. on July 4, 2003, I smelled "burning"<br />of oil or wires from the motor and it was very hot to the touch.<br />I called the tech and he said it was oil burning off.<br /> <br />I took him at his word and the unit worked ok till dec. 2004. then the motor froze<br />up again.<br />tech put on another one and it ran all winter ok.<br /> <br />when I turned on AC in April this year<br />, in about 11 days it stated to put out the same odor.<br /> <br />I called tech and had complete new unit installed. A coils, lines, furnace, etc.<br />everything but the outside unit which was 4 year old and OK.<br /> <br />this unit has been on line since June 1, this year. <br /> <br />now the past few days, I am smelling the same odor from the <br /> motor again!<br /> <br />the unit is cooling fine and runs about 14 minutes on and 10 off during the 100<br />degree days.<br /> <br />Question:<br /> <br />Is Coleman having trouble with motors? I see on my paper work that this unit is<br />a "York'?<br /> <br />any advice??<br /> <br />thanks<br /> <br />nomoe99

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Colman AC

blower mtrs. are usually three spd.w/up to six wires comming out of mtr. .could be wired wrong and still operate,not saying "RIGHT".<br /> "KNOW YOUR SERVICE TECH."

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I know when I do a start up on a new factory unit, I do an amp check. This insures that all the componets are drawing the recommended current. If there is a problem in your fresh air return, it could be causing the motor to pull more amps than it should. Do you know if the blower is belt driven or direct drive? If it is belt driven, a variable pitch pulley can be used to adjust the amperage draw. If it is burning out blower motors, even on your new unit, there could be another underlying problem. Low voltage maybe?<br /><br />90% of the equipment I service for my company is York, the rest is AAON and Trane. To me the AAON is the caddie of them. They were designed by service techs. Easy to work on for sure.<br /><br />Good Luck

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

return air ,restricted (blocked off partually),dirty filters WILL NOT draw more amps ,fan is movivg less air = less amps.efficency goes down

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I agree been about a restriction decreases amps, but maybe too much return air opening. I know of a new house that had that problem. Kept over amping the blower. The contractor had freshair coming in on both sides of the airhandler. The manufacture noted that only one panel on the bottom or one side can be removed for the freshair return. That was the first time I heard of that. They re-routed the other side to one. Then no more problems. It had several techs other than myself scratching their heads. It actually took an apprentice to read the directions to figure out what was up. Some of these new units and their crazy ways of making them with better efficency.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks to me the prob. to be over sized squirrel and or under size motor. like I said if you restrict the air, amps go down,and that is what they did.it could be that the blower pulley is too large if its NOT direct drive,if it is dd then its a mis match,Fan curve to hp. :confused: