Homemade pool cover rollup?

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
I have one of those inflatable pools which is great,but dealing with taking on and pulling off the cover.The cover is a tad bit over 24'long,12'wide so it can get heavy.<br />Im looking for a backyard handyman version that could be built for cheaper then the store bought models....The store bought models are made to mount to the top rails of an above ground permanent pool,not inflatable....<br />Im picturing 2 4x4 set in the ground,with an axel at least 12' long that will also have a crank on one end.I do have a 6' privacy fence that if re-enforced,I could use that to mount to.<br /><br />Total weight while the cover is damp is probably 50 lbs or so...Just a FYI<br /><br /><br />I dont have access to a welder at this moment,so please keep that in mind when giving opinions on how to make this thought in my head work.

ndemge

Commander
Re: Homemade pool cover rollup?

For lightweight, ...here's what I see in my head:<br /><br />Mounted to the fence, a 12' Piece of 1" metal pipe. Pvc or Plastic pipe will bend too much over the 12' span.<br /><br />At the end, you should be able find fittings to fab up a handle. Make a bushing out of a slightly larger piece of pipe for it to rotate on, and that's what mounts to the fence.....<br /><br />can see it in my head, but I can't draw.

KRS

Banned

The pool stores well bulk "bubble wrap" type pool covers, it just lays on (floats too), doesn't attach to anything.<br /><br />The reason most attach to the top is to keep it taught, which keeps it from suffocating a victim who falls onto the cover.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Ok folks thanks for the ideas, anybody else have more ideas to help get this project off the ground?