How much does rock weigh?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a new-to-me 1995 Chevy K1500 Z71 pickup. It's a short bed step side.<br /><br />Nothing will grow under my deck and it's always a muddy mess so I want to fill it in with stone to at least make it a little nicer. The local quarry will fill up the bed with a grey/blue stone for a very good price (the stone is the same stuff you would find in an unpaved parking lot or what they lay down under asphalt).<br /><br />If they fill up the bed with this stuff, is it going to be too heavy for the truck to handle? <br /><br />It's a 5.7 V8 with the beefy off road shocks.<br /><br />Also, my guess is they drop it in the back of the truck with some sort of hopper... Anyone know for sure how they do this? How bad is that going to beat the paint up? I have a cap on it right now which I guess I'll have to take off if that's how they fill it up.<br /><br />Thanks!

bubbakat

Captain
Re: How much does rock weigh?

They will load it with a bucket loader and it will spill all over the sides. I would find another way to haul it. A trailer or something of that sort. The max payload on that trk I think is 1500 in the bed and if you have 4 ply street tires it will most likely ruin the tires.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Best to ask them how much a bed full or a scoop weighs. They do drop it in using the bucket of a skip loader and yes it will beat up the paint, if not when they dump it in, then certainly when you clean it out.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love watching a 5 or 10 yrd loader trying to put a half ton in a truck. 1 yrd weights around a ton. Around here the rock is called #8 limestone if theres dust in it called #53. If your worried about paint might go to your local rental place and see about a trailer for 1/2 day.

KRS

Banned

It will spill over the sides, smack the back window, and I bet they overfill it BIG TIME

TilliamWe

Banned

I have hauled gravel on a 3/4 ton Chevy truck with a flat bed (12" side boards & "tailgate"). They used a front end loader & plenty fell over the sides. They also loaded as much as I told them to, 5,000 lbs! Needless to say, the spring stops were resting on the rear axle housing!<br />If you like this truck, and it's "pretty", don't haul rock of any kind in the bed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Have it delivered! A local lanscaper or even the quarry will tell you who delivers. Not worth the risk/damage to the truck.<br /><br />Be sure when you place the stone under the deck that you put some fiber matting down.... or the stone will eventually vanish into the mud.<br /><br />Bob

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with the response. Have you considered putting concrete under the deck? Last two houses we had builder put in concrete pad under deck and avoided muddy mess you usually get. This of course was for second story deck,

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Your "Rock" will weigh anywhere from 1 ton / cu yd upwards depending on the size of the product, the amount of "fines" (dust) and the water content. More likely is about 1,1/2 ton / cu<br />Lots of variables.<br />Like the other say, hook up to a tandem axle trailer or hire a small tip truck.<br />PS. 1 cu yd of rock product will not go far when spread over the ground.<br /><br />Have fun,<br /><br />Peter

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

also consider the safty of having that load in your truck. how much more room would braking take? steering would be unresponsive, due to the weight in the back. If you had an accident......<br /><br />play it safe, get it delivered. <br /><br />you don't really want to end up on "World's Dumbest Drivers" do you?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks everyone. I'm kind of bummed about this because I wanted to use my truck for "truck stuff" for the first time but I guess this isn't the right tool for the job. <br /><br />The rock they quoted me over the phone is #57. $25 for all I can haul. They won't deliver less than 2 tons and I really only need enough to cover about 16'x 16'. I am planning on putting landscaping felt under the rock.<br /><br />I don't want to put concrete in because all the utility lines run under the deck ... if something ever had to be replaced it would be a lot of work to break up concrete.<br /><br />OMC - why didn't I think of that? I think that's what I'll do.<br /><br />Thanks again!

ndemge

Commander

16x16' = 256 Sq Ft<br /><br /><br />1 Yard will Cover 162 Sq Ft at 2" Thick<br /><br />2" Is about as thin as you can cover. You really need 2 yards for this. Renting a dump trailer would probably be your best bet, if they will even let you rent one with a 1/2 tone truck, pulling 2 tons is right at your limit, especially without a brake controller.<br /><br />I just filled a 8x8 Sandbox, 10" deep, took 2 yards of sand.<br /><br />The guy at my local material supplier was great, I pulled up with dump trailer, asked for "2 Tons"<br />I get off the scales to find he dumped 1.98 tons.<br /><br />Get a guy that's been doing this for a while and you'd be surprised how accurate they can fill that bucket.<br /><br />Now the other option, It's a truck, If you plan on keeping it forever and want to use it as a truck and say to yourself "Self, trucks are supposed to be banged up" Then just take 2 trips, 1 ton each and go get your rock :)

txswinner

Banned

Get the bed of your truck and over the top sides sprayed with rhino liner or a like undercoating material. I had my last two trucks done and I haul sand, gravel, mulch etc. for home use and no one scratch. I swear by the spray in liner.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

jsfinn, I have the exact situation with my deck. I was going to do exactly what you're going to do. I plan to outline the ground under my deck with landscaping timbers to keep the rock retained, unless someone has another idea.

TilliamWe

Banned

txswinner, look at his first post... a bedliner will be nice, but he also has a stepside pickup. So anyone dumping rock in will surely spill it onthe tops of thr rear "fenders". you don't want the bedliner on the whole outside of the bed, do you?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I hauled 1000# of pea-gravel in an Isuzu 4X4. The Operator of the front end loader just scooped up a few tons in the corner of his bucket and slowly poured it in until I signaled to stop as I watched the fender gap shrink. He didn't drop a pebble anywhere but in the center of the 4 by 6 bed. He was smilin the whole time, probably could have buried the truck if he wanted too.

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

A front-end loader is about a third of a yard. Typically one scoop can go in a half ton pick up. I always borrow my neighbors for that kind of thing. ;) <br /><br />good luck<br />fp

Moody Blue

Captain

Originally posted by funpilot<br />"A front-end loader is about a third of a yard."<br /><br />Are you talking about the little bobcats ? The smallest front-end loader bucket around here is 2 yards.<br /><br />Jsfinn, you need to decide whether or not you want to use your truck as a truck or not. I have routinely hauled much more weight than they are rated for. These vehicles are trucks with actual frames meant to haul loads. Why not install a bed liner to protect the box interior if that is a concern. You will do more damage getting the stone out of the bed than putting it in. Bottom line is that if you are going to use the truck to haul stuff around, it IS going to get scratched, dented and dinged. If you want to keep it shiney and pristine then go for the rental, thats what they are for.<br />As for the quantity, I agree that two yards is needed for your job. One yard will only provide a thin (sparse) covering.