Vehicle with no Title, what can be done?

ndemge

Commander
Looking on ebay, lots of older vehicles that people have had sitting around a long time, but no Titles for whatever reason.<br /><br />What can be done to Title an old vehicle, or is it even possible? Talking 1971 and newer....

D

DJ

Re: Vehicle with no Title, what can be done?

It CAN be done. You are going to have to go after a "reconstructed" vehicle title.

KRS

Banned

IF the vehicle is a salvaged title, and a VIN discrepancy exists (much more common than you may think) you may be required to post a bond for it. In my experience (several times) the bond is way to much for a salvaged vehicle (typically twice the going low book value).<br /><br />If the vehicle is a salvaged title the person who obtains the title CANNOT sell the vehicle as a "box A or box B" mileage vehicle, they MUST be sold as "box C" or "unknown" mileage as only the previous owner can certify as to the mileage at the time of sale. Being a "box C", some banks won't finance the purchase, so be aware!

ndemge

Commander

I'm not talking about salvage titles,...<br /><br />There are a lot of good trucks out there that I have a motor to drop into, but "no title" on a lot of them. Because it was abandoned, grandpa died 5 years ago, and never trasfered etc...

LubeDude

Admiral

Just place a call to your local DMV, they will fill you in.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Just place a call to your local DMV, they will fill you in.
You can even find this info on the DMV website here in CA. I would start there.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

The present owner should apply a 'lost title application'. The seller is the one who should provide you with a clear title. If you buy a vehicle without a title and it's stolen or has a mechanic's lein you bought that too. I would stay away from any vehicle without a title.

KRS

Banned

If the seller isn't the owner (which it sounds like) then the seller needs to apply for an abandoned title, the same mileage problem applies, it will be a Box C

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Most DMV's have an age limit on titles. I believe it is 12-15 years here in VT. Beyond that age no title is needed only a valid bill of sale to register it. <br /><br />The impact of "lost or missing" titles is more stolen older vehicles. Call the motor vehicle dept.<br /><br />Bob

rwise

Captain

Here we have what is know as "title 42" you go down and get the paper work and fill it out (many pages). You also have to put whatever up for auction at your convenience, say somewhere no one can find at 6 am. Saturday morning! I have seen places on the internet that claim they can sell you a valid new title.

ndemge

Commander

Called MO DMV.... Here, need a court order, you have to hire a lawyer and go before a judge and get awarded ownership.<br /><br />So yeah, need to get whoever is selling to make it clear.<br /><br />easy solution,,, no buy.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rememebr a used car dealer telling me about registering cars in Missisppi and using a company there to create a new title then transfering it to his home state...I wish I could rcall the company's name

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Register it as homemade..........It work's on trailers....only kidding........

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Every state is different. And when you're dealing with Ebay where you may be buying from one state and trying to title in another it can become even more complicated. Even if the ad says "no title," you're definitely going to want to run the VIN through a database to ensure that it's not titled to somebody else or in a NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) database as a stolen vehicle. <br /><br />I agree with those who recommended a call to your DMV before you do anything else, and learn the proper procedures to protect yourself.

phatmanmike

Captain

here in florida, i have a buddy with a towing/impound yard. i give him the car without title, he claims it was found in a parking lot, after 30 days, he gets title from the state if no owner claims it. i buy it from him for 1 dollar.