grease gun won't pump

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just put a new tube of grease in my grease gun and it won't pump. What else do I need to do? I guess there is air in it or something. The grease gun is practically brand new. Help. Thanks. Mark

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: grease gun won't pump

Did you "pop" the seal on the new tube of grease?

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

They are generally a PITA. I usually twist the handle on the bottom, bang it a bit & if there is another plug for the hose, take it off & sometimes it will let the air out. If not take the hose off to let out trapped air.

BF

Lieutenant

did you put the tube in backwards? I didn't think that would be possible, but a friend managed to do it on the first refill of his new grease gun... then pressurized it to the point of breaking the gun and blowing grease everywhere :)

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just unscrew the top part of the gun(end with the handle)a couple of turns,turn it upside down and pump away.

Trent

Captain

You bought a cheap grease gun didnt ya? Most good guns have a air release button at the top. Or some have a plug that you can remove and add a release button or you can put a zerk fitting in their and use your finger nail to push it down to release the air. But your right they can be a pain....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Loosen the gun/cartridge and keep pumping it.... you might even have to open it up and pack in some grease by hand. Be persistant it should work.

one more cast

Captain

did you push the plunger in? another thing that helps is leave the handle in the out position when puttimg in the new cartrige. keep pumping.