steering rack raplacement... I need to vent

BF

Lieutenant
On a 94 trans sport van... I got the old one out (finally) and the new one in place (finally), and then when I raise the subframe back up, the shaft coming up from the gear box seems too short to fully engage the coupler on the steering linkage from the column! Is about 1" too short for lock bolt to make it through the key groove in the shaft. There doesn't seem to be any play in the length axis of the coupler. I went back to the parts place to measure another one and see if it's the same length (thinking maybe I got a mislabelled rack). No luck, it's the same as the one I've got already.<br /><br />Urrrggghhh! Definately a job that I should've had a shop do. I've got the DIY gene, but this week is going to change that for a while!!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: steering rack raplacement... I need to vent

Dont you love the wrong parts!!!!<br /><br />Ken

BF

Lieutenant

well I got it in... only 1 blood blister and 5 hours later.... not a fun job. The upside is that the other work left to do seems so pleasant in comparison.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Amen brother, I always do the hard dirty work first, then the easy stuff seems like a reward. <br /><br />That's why we work first and retire last. :)