DSL Service

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
DSL may be available to me via Net@Access corp. (See www.nac.net). It will cost $84 a month. Not including long distance service. How does this compare to DSL in your area?<br /><br />
DSLcomparisonchart.gif
<br /><br />I currently have two phone lines. I will save $15 a month by cancelling the second phone line because I understand that the phone can be used while the PC is on the net all on one line. (Right?)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: DSL Service

I have verizon and I am pretty content with it. I get it included in my home phoe bill at $29/month.

Twidget

Commander

SBC is running a $14.99 special for 12 months. <br /><br />I use cable $29 a month and verizon $25 for phone. It saves quite a bit of money over SBC. Especially after the 'usage fees and taxes' are added to SBC.<br /><br />Vonage is great BTW. To get service throughout the house, I disconnected the landline outside, then plugged the vonage router into the wall. Walaa, all phone jacks are active. :)

ndemge

Commander

I have one line, <br />the expanded calling area (allows all ST. Louis to be a local call)<br />ALL features, Caller id, call forward, call wait etc.<br />DSL with 128up/768 down<br /><br />After all taxes and such, is close to $100 a month.

JimCobb

Cadet

Proprietary markets, where I live there is only one option for DSL, BellSouth. Local, unlimited long distance and DSL is $135 a month

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

$84 seems high to me. Sometimes you pay more for faster DSL service. Maybe they have a rate plan that costs less for slower speeds. Around here I think it's about $30/month ... The phone company says I can't get it because my phone lines are "too good" .. something about fiber blah blah blah..

sangerwaker

Commander

Mark,<br />If you have a cell phone, forget about the long distance. We just dumped our phone service, which included 256k DSL and all the extra features for the phone. It was about $85 per month. We dropped the phone, but kept the DSL service, which is now $50 per month. The cool part is my speed is now nearly 1200k down!<br /><br />Have you compared the speeds on both packages?

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To add Verizon DSL, I pay $29.95 plus tax and FUSF recovery fee. Total $34.75/month.<br /><br />2Mb download. No complaints. Free Wireless Modem/router, but it was bad. I had to buy another router with firewall. But that was not much.

Moody Blue

Captain

Mark42 be sure to check what you are getting for that price. My service here is high speed 2mb (3mb is available but I am too far from the local hub to take advantage of it) and costs me $45 month. That is over and above my regular phone service. I can get regular DSL for $19/month which is only about twice as fast as dial-up service. Any DSL service will allow you to surf and use the phone at the same time on one line. The next thing to investigate would be VOIT.

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My DSL is going up to $34 after the 2 years of special offers ended. I've had great service with SBC so far.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

From your add above it seems the difference is in the phone service not the dsl service, <br /><br />is this a net phone service?<br /><br />Does the phone company offer the same basic package that the net company does?<br /><br />jsfinn - DSL only works over copper not fiber - the line between you and the switch has to be copper only no fiber

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Turns out Net Access can't supply DSL to me either. Too far from the station.<br /><br />Back to trying to run 10 modems in parallel! :D

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you get Comcast cable??? It is WAY faster than DSL. We got full digital cable/internet from Comcast for about $130/month. It includes ALL chanels and On-Demand Premium chanels, plus the Internet connection is being upgraded to 6Mb down/384Kb up.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

JMO, But any cable internet service is faster than DSL, and you don't have to worry about your distance from the hub. Most of the computer geeks that I know prefer cable.

noydb

Cadet

FYI, Cable is that fast when traffic is low. HOWEVER.... cable is a shared resource, it slows down as more people are active on your circuit leg. May not be a problem in your area. Try to check with neighbors, they can tell you if there is a congestion problem.<br /><br />DSL speeds are rated slower but not dependent on how many users are on line. <br /><br />And last but not least.... actual achieved speeds on both are also dependent on network traffic AND the amount of "horsepower" provided by the site you want to visit. Your mileage may vary....

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm on UTOPIA, its a municipality plan to modernize phone, internet and <br />TV. I only use the internet, its fiber optic and seems quite fast, only $34.95 per mo. For phone I switched to Vonage, $14.95 per mo. for 500 minutes of full service anytime anywhere phone service. Everyone in my home has their own cell phones, so the home line is rarly used.<br /><br />For both services I pay about $50.00 per month, about what my old phone bill used to be.<br /><br />Spud