TV - Mind of it's own

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
I have a Philips-Magnavox 19" in the kitchen/den area that two or three times a day will power itself off. It's about five years old.<br /><br />When it happens, I just hit the power button on the remote and it fires right up as if nothing has happened. <br /><br />Just now it did it and the remote is beside me and hasn't been touched. <br /><br />Could some outside signal be causing this or is it about to go seriously on the blink?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: TV - Mind of it's own

TV's work with infared signals. This means if it was an external signal it would have to be coming from inside the house within the line of sight of the TV. More likely there is a component or computer problem. It could be worse, I used to have a TV in my bedroom that would turn itself on in the middle of the night. It would turn on at full volume. The only way to shut it off was to unplug it.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is furniture moving around in the room? Unexplained noises? Lights going on and off? Maybe a Poltergeist! :eek:

rwise

Captain

BoatBouy This sound crazy but, unplug it for at least 60 seconds. This will "reset" the processor, mine will just stop responding to the remote, this brings it back. May not work for you but it don't cost anything to try!

Stratosfied

Ensign

I would also try to change the battery in the remote as it may be getting weak and pulsing, just a thought.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some of the screw in flourescent bulbs will affect TV remote.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Just as an afterthought, does the tv or remote have a sleep timer on it? Maybe it got activated on accident?

LadyFish

Admiral

You really need to watch the movie "white noise".

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stratosfied beat me to it! A long time ago when I was in the service, I had bought a new tv and was going out on a 6 month dog and pony float. Well, I let a guy that wasn't going use my tv while I was gone. When I got back I went to get my tv back and I asked how it worked. He said"It worked great, but every once in a while it would turn off" After laughing a bit I told him that it had a sleep timer and there was a little red light on the tv that would light up when activated.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Thanks all for the advice. Yesterday it got so bad it was almost impossible to keep it on. Whenever it was turned on, if it exhibited a yellow cast to the picture, you could be assured it would turn off in 10-15 sec. Keep turning it back on and whenever the colors were OK, it would stay on for 1-2 hrs. <br /><br />Anyway, I got tired of messing with it and replaced it. Thanks again for comments.

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Phillips had a problem with the microprocessor IC in that chassis causing that problem. Unfortunately, you can buy a new TV set for what it will cost to fix it. Pitch it and buy another. ;)