Get better gas mileage

rwise

Captain
I have been told recently that you can put a magnet on your gas line and increase the mileage up to 50% :rolleyes: Anyone heard of this or have done it. Working with computers I can get some pretty powerful magnets from hard drives. I don't believe it can work, but until I try it....

dolluper

Captain
Re: Get better gas mileage

That's a goodin :D :D Report back and let us know probably get less with the added weight of the magnets :D :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The best way (proven) to improve gas mileage is to. . . .<br />><br /><br />><br /><br />><br /><br />><br /><br />><br /><br />><br /><br />><br /><br />><br /><br />drive downhill only.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you could use the really powerful magnets to help, I have a new idea. Have somebody run ahead and attach them to a telephone pole. Then maybe they'll help pull the vehicle along . . . :D Save your money!!!

ZmOz

Captain

I'll save you a bunch of money. I'll give you a bottle of pee for only $6.95. Add it to your gas tank and you'll get at least 40mpg.

LubeDude

Admiral

If you want to get better mileage, pump your tires up to about 50#s. Usually good for a couple miles per gallon. Your tires will wear in the middle, and wear real fast, but you will save a bit on gas. :D :D

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> I have been told recently that you can put a magnet on your gas line and increase the mileage up to 50% :rolleyes: Anyone heard of this or have done it. Working with computers I can get some pretty powerful magnets from hard drives. I don't believe it can work, but until I try it....
False. These things have been in JC Whitney catalogs since the 60's. It's been a great way to part gullible people with some cash for about 40 years now.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there is a new thing now that they say will help with fuel injected cars. I can't remember the name right now, but basiclly it is a small metal collar that is put around the injector, and is suppossed to improve the spray pattern. The cost was something like $300 AUD to have it fitted. <br />Dunno, looks a bit like the magnet idea....

rwise

Captain

JB I tried that it don't work so well.<br /><br />Quietcat it would cost nothing to try.<br /><br />ZmOz save it for a drug test.<br /><br />LD 50# would be low for my tires, and I keep them inflated to the proper pressure.<br /><br />Craze1cars I get magnets from dead hard drives, cost would only be whatever time it takes to install them.<br /><br />Lark2004 $300 AUD seams a bit steep, they would have to give a guarantee!<br /><br /><br />it will cost nothing for me to try, I think I'll put them on my Son's truck and see if he gets better mileage. I am trying acetone right now and want to only try one thing at a time.<br />Maybe if I put the magnet on a rope and hooked it to the car in front of me.

one more cast

Captain

Yea , I have heard that before. I think your supposed to use two magnets though (one on each side) so the fuel flows through a magnetic field.<br /> ........................................<br /> You could also try removing a piston/rod assembly or two. :D

rwise

Captain

OMC<br />That is what I get from hard drives, and quit powerful too.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Rwise,<br /><br />What powerful magnets do you find in hard drives???? I have never found a one. My experience is that magnets, especialy powerful ones, tend to trash hard drives.

ndemge

Commander

wow, sell this idea to the auto makers and they will pay you millions!

Realgun

Commander

Heres a stupid idea.<br /><br />Drive the speed limit don't hop on the gas all the time keep your tires inflated and change the air and oil filters regularly.<br /><br />This may sound crazy but the speed limit to tow is 75 same as the normal limit. I have a 25 gallon tank on the Supercrew. If I tow to the Butte at 75 I have to fill up halway back. If I cut it to 65 then I can go to the Butte and get back to Albuquerque! Plus the gas is at least $.05<br />a gallon cheaper too!

rwise

Captain

Mark42 just open any hard drive and look you'll find them. they are near the arm that has the heads on it. most of the drives I open are SCSI but all have magnets in them, some only have 1 others have 2.<br /><br />NoelMG the auto companies don't wont you or me to get good mileage there stock in oil would go down, can't have that!<br /><br />Realgun driving habits and auto maintenance have a lot to do with mileage, but it only goes so far. I change air and oil filters with every oil change. 75 seams a bit fast to tow, I run 60 - 65 when towing on the highway, and 65 - 70 unloaded.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> Maybe if I put the magnet on a rope and hooked it to the car in front of me.
Hey, that's just a variation of my first idea. I see an Intelectual Poperty fight :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Ive had a thought a few times.<br /><br />Years ago, cars didnt get very good mileage, then when the car manufactures were forced to make them get better mileage, the gas went up to conpensate for the less amount of fuel used, then the next few years went by and cars got even more efficient and the fuel prices went up to compensate for it and on and on.<br /><br />Anyone have figures on the actual amount of fuel sold over the years. Has the actual amount of gallons gone up or down? Say in the last ten years. I know that there are more vehicles on the road now.

txswinner

Banned

Lubedude, stick to boats motors and fishing, statistics is way out of your field. Kidding I have info in many of your replys!!