brownie third lung or hukah

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: brownie third lung or hukah

Any specific device? I have dove with a half-homemade hookah system a little bit. What kind of experiance are you looking for? I personally did not care to be tethered to the surface, but I see you are down in florida, perhaps it would be a nice thing for gathering lobsters or what-not. I have found that it does not allow to great a depth, both in lengh of hose and lack of pressure. Is this any help?? What exaclty would you like to hear?<br />Craig

bonitaboy

Seaman Apprentice

craig,thanks for the response i actually have one of the third lungs and its about hte greatest thing since sliced bread to me.i do lobster dive with it and being tethered does somewhat restrict mobility but the down time is until you are tired because it runs three hours on a tank of gas.with mine you can go 3 people to 30 ft. or 2 people to 60 feet although i have not used it past 40 ft as of yet.i was just looking to here from someone else who had used one and what there thoughts were on them is all.

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

bottom time is a wonderful thing but keep in mind if you get close to an hour spent at 60 feet you will need to decompress a little. I really reccomend you try scuba diving. three years ago I played around with an air compressor and full face mask, and loved it so much that by the end of the summer I had taken the open water class and started the never ending gathering of gear... But since then I have been diving on as many shipwrecks and what not that I can get to, some in 160 feet. Its great and I reccomend you give it a shot.<br />Craig

davepring

Cadet

Craig, yes get qualified and enjoy one of the greatest experiences in life, but wrecks at 160ft! I hope you've trained and qualified for that kind of diving. If you have an incident at that depth, remember the investigators know what that shiny dive computer records! Stay safe and enjoy your dives.

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trained and qualified can be taken many ways. I have taken the advanced class only. Which I can tell you does not prepare one for 160 feet. But I have also done quite a bit of self-teaching. I have read several books on the subject, talked to lots of people. And I worked my way up to it, 60-80-110-120-150. I reccomend it to anyone not who feels they are prepared, but who knows they are. I was well aware of all risks involved. And for the record, I did have an incident. My newish dacor regulator free-flowed! I will NEVER forget that experiance. I am glad that I did do all that reading and other dives past 100 feet. otherwise I may have taken one too many gulps of water while fumbling with my other tank, which had a torn mouthpeice. in the end I borrowed on from a buddy, which happened to be my instructor/friend accompanying me on my first deeper deep dive. In short you are right to be prepared and well informed, but I personally think that a "certification" means nothing. How many people drink their way through college and still get that little peice of paper that say they are smarter then the rest of us??<br />Craig

bonitaboy

Seaman Apprentice

that last sentence sure said a mouthful.i certainly agree that safety comes first but often times people put to much emphasis on a piece of paper and not enough on first hand knowlede and practical experience.

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! :mad: (that's my biggest pet peeve, stupid people that rise to power over the rest of us "peons" who are ""so"" much dumber then them) and yet, society in general accepts this... Ill stop here before it leads to politics :D <br />Craig

davepring

Cadet

I do agree about pieces of paper, in no way can they be a substitute for experience. Like you I spend as much time as possible reading about and discussing all aspects of diving. The big problem here in the UK (it must be the same with you?) is without the correct certification if I had a fatal accident my insurance would be null & void. Most of us have family to think about. <br /><br />As an example of 'certification' try this: We recently met with two 'Rescue Divers' both looked twice at our group which includes my 15yr old daughter (also rescue qualified with 65 dives in all conditions). We all chatted and we were shocked to find out these two guys only had 14 dives each (that included their courses), and when we saw them in the water, neutral buoyancy was a skill their instructor forgot to explain. How on earth did they get a rescue qualification?<br /><br />This thread is getting interesting, should someone post a new topic?

blipship

Seaman Apprentice

Diver,<br /><br />I have seen open water students get certified and love it so much that they race through the courses and become Advanced, Rescue and sometimes divemasters within a couple of months. I personally believe the problem lies with the instructor that will allow that person to advance so fast without gaining any "real" dive experience. I am personally a divemaster and I worked hard for my certification. Even still, I believe that I got my real knowledge of the sport from experience! Here's to more divers diving than reading books and taking multiple choice tests that say they can become rescue divers, etc. Don't get me wrong...I think it is very important to study...lets just put some more stock in practice makes perfect.

davepring

Cadet

Blipship,<br /><br />Spot on, I also reached PADI DM, and worked hard for it, and I am fed up with seeing people racing thro' courses and being a danger to themselves and those who dive with them. I have now given up my association with PADI and dive as an SAA diver (UK Sub Aqua Association). There are always bad apples, and no agency is without them, I just had to make a choice. <br />Within the SAA I can continue my diver education with much more rigorous standards, diving with highly experienced people who have been there and done it hundreds of times. I also now know what it feels like to fail practical tests and written exams! ....sometimes I miss multiple choice.

blipship

Seaman Apprentice

Good for you diver...I am glad to hear there are other organizations out there that hold high standards. Don't get me wrong, I think diving is a fun sport and everyone should try it. I just don't think everyone needs to be a rescue diver or DM. Most of the time when I go diving with groups I am not familiar with I will give them my Advanced open water card. I can't stand being around a bunch of talkers who get in the water and can't even get their buoyancy neutral. I just laugh and remember I am there to have fun!

davepring

Cadet

Thanks Blipship,<br /><br />On the down side, Here in the UK we have already had 4 fatalities since Jan.<br /><br />So stay safe and have a great years diving.<br /><br />Diver.

two_punch

Recruit

160 feet and no practical experience...glad i dive with the people i dive with...lol...

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

two punch, others have said the same thing, "Ohh you should get more experiance before you go that deep" or "you've never been that deep before, your gonna die" Well how in the world do you get this elusive deep diving experiance without ever going deep!?!?!?!? The answer is, you cannot! You have to start somewhere, and I am comfortable doing the diving I do. If I wasnt comfortable, I like to think I am a rational enough person to stop pushing my own limit. As stated above, do not judge one's intelligance by their certifications and diplomas, or GPA... It ABSOLUTELY does NOT reflect upon the persons ability to learn, education comes from everywhere you look, not solely a teacher, or instructor. <br />sorry to ramble, but this is one of the things I have a very strong opinon on... ;) <br />Craig

DerekM

Recruit

Craig Passemo,<br /><br />You make a good point regarding chicken & egg, catch 22 situations where you can't get experience without doing it and are chastised for doing it without experience but, and it is a BIG but, get diving experience g r a d u a l l y. I dive with the Inverness Sub Aqua Club (a branch of BSAC) and an introductory limit of 60 ft (20 meters) is imposed on Ocean Diver grade until Sports grade is passed, then 110 ft (35 metres) is the limit. Without going through all the grades, 160 ft (50 metres)is the deepest that recreational divers are qualified and that is after LOADS of diving experience. We can all nip down to crazy depths for a look see but for every 10 metres you go down, the danger factor increases exponentially big time. None of my diving instructors go below 20 metres without an extra pony back-up. Did you have one with you?

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I agree, and still, gradual is a relative term. I felt up to it, was my honest and informed opinion. In the 2 weeks before it I had made several dives to 120 feet. I did carry back up, I had a 95 on my back and a 72 on my front. And had a problem with both regulators!! A free flow on the primary and a torn mouthpeice on the backup. Another deciding factor on the dive was the fact that we were accompanied by our instructor. <br />Craig