Diving with booties

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My wife just gave me some dive booties for Christams. They make sense for walking over rocks and coral to get to the "good places". I have never used them before with fins. Should I buy some bootie fins or should I return them and get my money back?<br /><br />Thanks for any advice.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Diving with booties

diving with booties?<br />have no idea, but the subject line sure got my<br />attention. think I'll ask my wife for some booties<br />next x-mas. wonder what she'll say??? LOL<br />too easy.....<br />happy new years A5 & thanks!<br />M.Y.

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

I reccomend the open heel fins for boots, keep the boots! naturally they really help keep ya warm :) <br />Craig

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

Admin5-<br />the title "diving w/booties" is a great way to get responses to your string! LOL :D But back to the point. The booties w/open heal and strap-on fins are a requirement for taking diving lessons down here on the coast of Mississippi. Not only will they keep your feet warm/protected from coral/hot sand when walking around, but they allow easier removal and slip on. They are much safer as well, not having to walk around in a boat bearfooted and then try the balancing act of trying to stand on one leg and put on a flipper while all that scube gear weight is strapped to your back. The best fins available down here ALL require the use of booties. I have some and use my booties for wade fishing and diving. I wouldn't go back to the old full foot slip on's for anything. Of course, I have found that a few extra diving "booties" around the boat can help make the trip a lot more fun as well (as long as you pay attention to quality)!!! ;) <br /> *** picture edited for sloopy's sake ;)

D

DJ

Admin5,<br /><br />I agree with Beaux. The open back fins work well with these. They are far more useful than just keeping the feet warm.<br /><br />BTW, I did a double take when I firss read the post. I thought it said "Diving for Bootie". :D

upstate

Seaman Apprentice

i agree with open back fins they are off quicck<br />if needed

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info and opinions guys! I will kiss my wife again for the present. :) I had a good laugh at Beaux's visual statement before it got edited by the moderators. ;) <br /><br />I'll see you all out there with my booties on!

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Admin5,<br />Make sure you test the booties with the fins you are plannig to use for a good snug fit. Sometimes, if you have a larger foot, the additional thickness of the booty will not allow your foot to fully extend into the fin. All fins are not created equal and the foot well sizing is very different. <br /><br />enjoy,<br />Nav :cool:

djunk121

Cadet

booties are the way to go. Heel type fins are designed for snorkeling & have a lot of flex, suitable for lifting in & over the water. <br /><br />The strap type fins are usually stiffer & work better when constantly emerged. <br /><br />The comments in the thread about warmth & mobility on deck are accurate.