Virgin Island Charter advice

Doug Hensley

Cadet
My wife and I along with 1 or 2 other couples are in the very early stages of planing a bareboat charter to the Virgin Islands for next spring. I have found a ton of information but most of it is directed toward sailers and we're more interested in a powerboat say 35 to 50 ft. Anyone out there have any experience and info that might help?

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Virgin Island Charter advice

A few years ago I joined my brotherinlaw at Charlotte Amalie on his 52 ft. and we motored to the eastern limit of the British Virgins. A lot of the bareboaters had 42 foorters for charter. North South was one. While there on a cruising permit the Mon Alibie moured at the extreme western tip of Tortola. A small, competent marina with bareboats. The editor of YAUGHTING had sold his residence there to friend that distributes magazines here in Canada. They joined us for one afternoon during which we talked of bareboaters (sailboats) as being SHIP of FOOLS. Usually they were no match for the Sir Francis Drake Channel. I personally thought the British side to be the best. The Last Resort at the eastern tip was a real oasis (restaurant). Go to Virgin Gorda as well. If its your first trip I suggest a you rent a skipper as well. :cool:

lewjayjr1

Cadet

I have seen some outfits that do charters of trawlers down in that area. You should be able to do a search on Trawler Charter and find lots of places. Just make sure what the requirements are, and what is included etc. There are even some companies that will make sure all supplies are loaded on the boat prior to your arrival.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Something of little importance.There is on the western tip of Tortola a bar that has the dubious reputation as being the wildest north of Barbados and surpasses that of Dirty ****s in Bridgetown. On many mornings the beach is strewn with bodies and various female undergarments. Watch out for the owner's specialty of the house! :eek: :cool:

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

aaahhh......the Bomba Shack...the Full Moon parties........ :cool:

flashback

Captain

boaterforlife, I want to go to the islands this year and saw where north/south is offering 2 for 1 during slow season. I want a sailboat, and was wondering how you felt about the company.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

A small correction is necessary in one of my previous postings. The Ship of Fools I referred to were the sailors of the sloops, not power boats. Often they could be found moored in neighbouring bays waiting for calmer seas. But with those Christmas Winds, the wait was longer than their rental time! :cool:

flashback

Captain

sony, Im not too worried about wind, in fact, that's what i want... i was just interested in finding out if anyone had chartered with north/south before. thanks for the info tho....