SHARK FISHING - ANY IDEAS?

Rickster400

Cadet
Has anyone done any serious shark fishing??? I live in South Florida - just looking for a heads up before I talk to the Charter boys!<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />Rick

Fishbusters

Ensign
Re: SHARK FISHING - ANY IDEAS?

Once we spent a half day with a guide. We caught some barracuda then hung one over the side all cut up and bleeding and used pieces of another for bait on the flats. We caught a few sharks that way. We had a much better trip planned but the weather messed us up so we settled for the shark trip. This is all I can recall from that trip. Here I used to find a deep hole in a river mouth and drop baits to the bottom or fish off the beach or pier with fresh cut bait. I got over the jaws phase a while back and now spend most of my time in fresh water after cats.

Rickster400

Cadet

Peter,<br /><br />Do you have a name or number for someone with a good reputation? My father and I have fished everywhere, from rivers in Europe and North America to both sides of the Atlantic - but we have never done the Jaws thing - and it's something my dad has always wanted to do.... so off we go!<br /><br />Thanks.

Fishbusters

Ensign

It was a guy my brother in law and nephew chose I actually just went along for the ride so to speak. Funny thing about both of them is they both own thier own buisness and both have more money than I have ever had. I have been out more than a few times on thier good graces and have loved every minute of it. I wish I could help more but I can't. I will e-mail and ask them if they have a recomendation or even recall who we went out with but I doubt they know.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Uncle was Captain of a Shark Messher off the coast of Durban S.A. while semi retired. <br />The job of these 60 80' boats was to patrol the shark nets placed about a mile off shore which kept the sharks out of the populated beaches. <br /><br />A trip on his boat is my first memory of boats and oceans. I beleive I was 6 or 7 at the time.<br />His crew was very impressed that my Dad (who also has sea legs) and I did not get sick. I have never seen that shade of green again from my sister though!

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Rickster400,<br />come on down to New Zealand. This isn't spam. I reckon we could deliver as good as the best in Oz or S Africa. There's any number of reputable pro's here that could send your pulse racing a few times a day.<br />I particularly like the idea of having your dad along.<br />You could practice with the small sharks of the Kaipara, progress to the larger Bronz Whalers in the outer Waitemata or Mako, then up to the Bay of Islands (Zane Grey area) for the big boys. You never know there could be some other exciting fish to catch as well.<br />Ross

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just stumbled onto this post for the first time tonite. I am into serious shark fishing and can guarantee plenty of shark action off the coast of Rhode Island. I am currently fishing a 20 foot boat which does the job but is a bit small for the timid. Next season I hope to be getting a 25 footer and will continue my offshore fishing. In the waters here we are guaranteed to catch Blue Sharks. And hopefully we will run into a Mako or 2, and maybe some tigers, Hammerheads, and there is always the chance of a Great White showing up. The charter boys who fish out of Point Judith here in RI are definately skilled at catching whatever you want. You cannot go wrong with most of them and I can highly recommend some of them myself. There are shark tournaments here also and these guys always catch the fish!

JohnnyVero

Cadet

Rick, A chum bucket is very successful, it will attract shark as well as other fish that will in turn attract shark, once you establish a chum slick the shark's will follow, if you need any more info just email me on aol, I also live on the east coast of fla and fish offshore. Good Luck