Any Bodyhsop guys here??

ehenry

Commander
The youngun came home lastnight with a bent up truck. He claims he was turning in to a McAllisters parking lot, cut too short and hit a large rock that rolled under the passenger door and bent and mashed the rocker panel under the door up to the door. The door will still open and close, however I didn't open the rear suicide door on the truck. Its a 2003 Chevy X-Cab Z71. Any idea on how expensive is rocker panel replacement is?<br /><br />I'm more than likely going to let leave it for a while, just trying to get an idea.

ehenry

Commander
Re: Any Bodyhsop guys here??

It'd be nice if we could gt it done that cheap. He's going to have to save his money for a while to fix this one.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

'He's going to have to save his money for a while to fix this one.'<br />Good for you henry. Too many parents would pay to have it fixed and the kid wouldn't learn a thing.

LubeDude

Admiral

Get an estamate, but it will be more like $600-800 most likely. Its always worse than it looks at first. There is likely an inner and an outer, plus the floor will likely need a bit of work also.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When i backed the trailer into my mothers volvo back in high school, it was $1400 to get a door and fender repaired, that was just a small crease in the 2 panels nothing else. I would say upwards of $1000 to get it repaired at least from the sounds of it.

TilliamWe

Banned

ef, can you post photos? Take one from fairly far away, then maybe a couple closer. I might be able to guess the extent of the damage.<br />The problem you are gonna have with the price is this: there is no "rocker panel" on that truck. It's all part of the "door opening frame". So you have to buy that whole thing, cut it up, and then cut out the damaged part & weld in the new piece. The part alone is $794.93. The labor time just to replace the rocker section is 8.5 hours. 2.4 hours to repaint it. 1hour for clear coat. See where this is headed??<br />Maybe it can be strightened?

ehenry

Commander

TilliamWe, that sounds about right. I'm not the proud owner of a digital camera just yet. I do know where theres one I can borrow though. I'll try to get some pics posted in tomorrow.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /> there is no "rocker panel" on that truck. It's all part of the "door opening frame". So you have to buy that whole thing,
Been out of the loop for quite a few years, but I used to hate that. I forget what rig it was , but they cut the rocker in two pieces right close to the middle, you had to buy the front piece and the back peice if you wanted both and they didnt cut them all the same so half the time you had a 1-2" piece in the middle missing.????????? Same with the door post, if you needed the whole thing you were always short. That must be why you have to buy the whole thing now.

TilliamWe

Banned

LubeDude, many many vehicle today have "door opening frames". This means that the post at the windhield, the rocker panel, the post in between the two doors, and the cab corner/quarter panel are all one piece. Most GM vehicles are built like this. It supposedly allows for greater strength, and better side impact protection. I know it's easier to assemble at the factory. It's not that much harder to repair, other than you cut up a perfectly good full replacement part in order to get the section you need. But it's been happening every day for quite some time in the body repair industry.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /> LubeDude, many many vehicle today have "door opening frames".
Yes, it was happening when I was still on line about 10 years ago, but you could order the piece you needed also, but like I said, whoever it was that was telling the factory where to cut repair pieces was out to lunch. I suppose that because of all the problems is why you have to get the whole piece now.<br /><br />Things were just changing when I got out. (Due to a reaction with all the chemicals over the years).<br /><br />We could splice frame rails, (As per ICAR) then but it was becoming SOP to have to install the whole rail. (Unibody vehicles). Man I sure do miss all that money I made back then. Only taking 5 hrs to do a 10 hr job and getting paid for 10 hours. Oh ya, those were the days.