Chevy S-10 issues again.

brother chris

Commander
Okay, I had previously posted about my 1991 Chevy S-10 which recently had the front ball joints replaces, along with the shocks, rotors turned, and brakes(calipers and all). <br />So, I hear this pinging noise coming from the front right side. I take it back to Speedy(the people who did all the work) and they took it apart and realized that the front driveshaft that they installed was the problem. They replaced the driveshaft and called me and told me it was all okay now. That was last Saturday. <br />Now today, it started making the same noise. <br />I hear a metal scraping noise and a grinding noise(same noise as if your brakes are metal on metal) coming from the front end. <br />It only happens while I am driving. When the shop put it up on jackstands and put it in drive there was no noise. So it has to be a load bearing noise. <br />As well, the noise goes away when it it put in 4x4. <br />The truck is going back into the shop on Saturday, once again. <br />Could it be that there are 2 defective front driveshafts, or does anyone have any other input that might help me. <br />Thanks in advance. This really has the mechanics baffled.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chevy S-10 issues again.

I doubt if you have 2 bad ones in a row. I would make sure they are torquing the shaft with a torque wrench and not an impact gun. you could have a wheel bearing going out. Have they driven it or just looked at it in the shop?

Johnshan1

I had the same issue with a 4x4, it was a bad hub assembley I think is what I was told, it was a few years ago now. Boy it made some noises I thought I had major issues, I put it in 4x4 and then out again and the noise would be gone for a bit, then return later. Squeaking and metal to metal griding/dragging was the majority of the noise. Good luck, gotta be simple.

brother chris

Commander

Jimr,<br />Yeah, they took it out for a ride. We thought it was a bearing, but bearings make a different sound though. <br /><br />Johnshan1, <br />It sounds like the same thing you went through. I am going to mention it to the fellows on Saturday. And I am going to make sure they are NOT using an impact gun instead of a torque wrench. <br /><br />Thanks for the input. <br /><br />If anyone else who reads this has any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. <br />They are getting in the way of my boating time. I do not have a vehicle to tow my boat if they are fixing it. <br />So pleeeaaaassssseeee....if anyone has any info, please help. <br />Thanks,<br />B.C.

dolluper

Captain

To set the hub bearing right it's a 2 step process first inital torque ,then weight of vehicle final torque ,if torqued to much it puts strain on carrier and not enough there would be slack taking up when put in 4 wheel also wearing everything>>>>> hub could be toast

jimr

Just wondering what you found out on your truck