95 chevy blazer brake lights.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was dragging my utility trailer the other day and the brake lights in my blazer went out. Well, the 2 regular ones went out the third brake light is still working fine. This happened to me a while ago and turned out to be the brake light switch under the dash. I got one and put it on yesturday and it didnt fix the problem. I checked the fuse and it is fine. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?? thanks for any and all help.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 95 chevy blazer brake lights.

Check the brake light connection in your trailer plug. It may have shorted out causing a dead wire or a slight short enough to kill the lights but not enough to kill the fuse. Have seen this many times.<br />Also check the hazard flasher unit. It is the same as the turn signal flasher, only in a different location.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the brake light circut go thru the hazard flasher? If so then im sure thats my problem.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

On some older vehicles I think it does. I am not certain on your vehicle though. It might be something to check, because the 3rd brake light usually doesn't flash with the hazards. If the trailer plug in is fine then this would be the next thing to check. On most you can just trade this flasher with the turn signal flasher to test it, or do a continuity test on it. The next step is to get a test light and a stick pin or needle. Start testing the wires starting at the input to the brake light switch and following back.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

had all sorts of problems with my 95 blazer and found it to be the hitch wiring shorted in more than one place, what a nightmare to trace.<br />good luck.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a great idea. In fact I heard something under the dash the other night that sounded like a flasher humming and I didnt even put 2 and 2 together. I replaced the trailer harness from the factory wiring back last year and the factory stuff still looks good. I am gonna pull the panel off and switch the flashers to see if it makes a difference. thanks a lot I will update if this fixes it.

Trent

Captain

If I recall correctly their was a recall on the brake light switch wireing back then. Check with your dealer to see if it applies?