Light is humming

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know anything about lighting?<br />I installed a ligtswitch dimmer combo in our bathroom for the wife. Works great. Only problem is when I turn the dimmer switch down there is a humming coming from the lights. Any help would be appreciated.

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Light is humming

Change bulbs. It's called bulb sing. The filament inside the bulb is vibrating. Inexpensive bulbs are usually the culprit. I would highly recommend halogen bulbs. They tend to not "sing".

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

there are 6 bulbs on the light bracket. They have all been changed in the past year. Still a humming. Could it be from the switch. Never heard fo bulb sing. Learn something new everyday.

sangerwaker

Commander

Possibly from the switch, but not as likely as the bulbs. Doesn't matter their age. Brand new ones will sing. Do you remember what brand of dimmer and bulbs they are? The name brand bulbs usually don't sing. GE, Philips, or Sylvania. Halogens can get pricey, but worth the extra $$ IMO. Better lighting and I have never heard of a halogen singing.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks sang. I think I will replace them with halogen and see what happens.

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always thought it was a cheap dimmer that made the noise. Hmmm. nice to know.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Let me apologise in advance.<br />They hum because they don't know the words.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by levittownnick:<br /> Let me apologise in advance.<br />They hum because they don't know the words.
:D :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have a couple of 200 watt bulbs in a livingroom on a Levitan slide dimmer. Those bulbs sing. First time I ever experienced that. Change the intensity of the light, and the noise goes away.

sangerwaker

Commander

Here's a link to the Pass & Seymour (electrical device manufacturer) FAQ page on dimmers. Bulb sing is described on the sixth question down.<br /><br /> P & S dimmer FAQ's