lawn care

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering how many of you put down fertilizer on your lawn every year? I just put 50 lbs down I have 4 acres and will over seed later this month.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: lawn care

I do. And pre-emergence. That works wonders. And Preen on the walkways and blue stone patios to keep weeds from growing. Preen is worth every penny.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

The problem with fertilizer is that it makes the grass grow. Then I have to mow it more often, leaving less time to play with my toys.<br /><br />As I'm headed to the lake, more than once I've looked at the yard and thought, "Gosh I really should stay home and mow".<br /><br />But then I remember, 'heck. I haven't gotten a letter about it from the city yet---- it can't be too bad'. LOL

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

LOL I doubt I will even see my lawn until mid April. Right now it is perfect under the 2 feet of snow!<br /><br />When it does emerge I hate cutting it so fertilizer is out of the question.<br /><br />Bob

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Booner:<br /> Just wondering how many of you put down fertilizer on your lawn every year? I just put 50 lbs down I have 4 acres and will over seed later this month.
You better hope the moderator don't see this or you may be banned :p <br /><br />My next door neighbor really spends a lot of time on his yard. Poor dude ain't never been fishing.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

50 lbs. is a little light for 4 acres, isn't it Booner - unless it ammonium nitrate. That stuff goes a long ways (especially if detonated, ha).

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Scotts came out with a new pre emergence last year that allows you to seed with it. The stuff is kind of pricy but it works pretty good. If you have any crab grass it is a good idea to look into this.

one more cast

Captain

Be careful with that fertilizer.... remember this? :D <br />
pjc <br />Lieutenant Junior Grade <br />Member # 26818 <br /><br /> posted April 06, 2004 10:32 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Seems that human pee kills grass real quick (mine at least).<br /><br />What can I do to restore the dirt to allow grass to grow again?<br /><br />Please be mindfull that this post is serious and not frivolous. I do have a spot in the yard that needs repair. If this post is inappropriate admin or mods, kill it. I do need help here though. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 1153 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jun 2003 | IP: Logged | <br />

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I live in the country, neighbors don't bother me. I drive on my lawn, drag my boat across the lawn, encourage the kids to play hard on the grass, do everything I can to it and still it grows at such a rate that I have to cut it once a week during the summer. I am not going to encourage it with ferterlizer, that will cut into my fishing time to much.. :D <br />BTW, I only have to cut 3 acres.. :mad:

PAkev

I also live in the country on 10.5 acres. I have a few hives of honey bees and planted a wildflower mixture on about 2 acres around them which also cut down on my mowing time. It looks kind of crude in the spring but is extremely colorful in the summer and into early fall.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'm still landscaping and tryng to get my lawn 'started' in some really crude clayish soil from building this shack a few years ago(damn landscaping contractor forgot that I had axess to all the clean pulverised black dirt I could use :mad: ) ..pardon that.<br /><br />anywho.. I feabily attempt to fertilze to keep things a nice color green. I'm just over an acre so it only takes a few minutes to run the spreader behind the mower @ $20 an application.<br /><br />This spring I'm starting all over again :rolleyes: .. need to re-grade the entire lawn to my anal standards to make it 'healthy'.<br /><br />I've got a few patches of mature trees that I've done the wildflower thing with around them and it looked great for the first season last year.. we'll see how it goes this one.<br /><br /> :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

We've had such a mild winter here that we've had to mow three times already this year. Normally our last mowing is in November and we don't have to start again until April. :mad:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

This is the first year I've fertilized. Last year, I put in a chep-n-dirty irrigation system, which only encouraged the weeds to grow. I put down some weed-n-feed. If it does any good by Fall, I'll actually try to have a real lawn by re-sodding it, and taking care of that.

KaGee

Admiral

I've got to go back to doing it myself... my son worked the last three years for Chemlawn... not any more. I always got freebees. Oh well, life goes on.

ehenry

Commander

ROUNDUP!!! I love the stuff. Keeps me from having to mow and on the water fishing!!!

thejeepster02

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I WANT TO BLACK TOP THE WHOLE THING AND PAINT IT GREEN...........WIFE WONT LET ME!! :D :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I gotta re-sod.. YUCK.. <br /><br />(note to self: DON'T USE THE WEED KILLER AGAIN, YOU IDIOT!)<br />yep.. Once upon a time I had a fair lawn... Was'nt great by any means, but there was some grass.. I figured I'd help the grass along and put down some weed killer that was NOT supposed to KILL the grass... Now, the GRASS is all DEAD, but the WEEDS are doing wonderfully!<br /><br />>hack-phut!<.. I figure, with fertilizer and all, it'd be cheaper to nail dollar bills to the ground in place of the sod...
30.gif

RetNav

efhenry, you sound like my kind of guy.. :D :D

rwise

Captain

I did not have kids so I would have to cut the lawn! No watering, no fertilizer and kids. And when they move out, I may just replace them with the 4 hoof drive kind!

ehenry

Commander

RetNav, when I do have to deal with my grass with the mowing machine I dont cut it. I beat it ! ! I hate beating the grass and eatin the weeds. The only thing around my place that gets fertilizer of any type is whats grown for food ! ! When I have to plant any type bush, shrub, flower, bulb, tuber or anything like that thats not for food, it gets stomped, spit on and told its in Gods hands now. If it dont make it, it wasn't meant to be !!