Briggs & Stratton 5hp

ChaosDad

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys, I should know this but I must be getting old, 5hp B&S motor on my tiller, <br />Last fall it quit running, check plug and seen that it was not firing, ok, put it off till this spring. <br />Installed new points and condenser and new plug, first couple of pulls on the rope and it started for just a few seconds. <br />Pulled plug back out and it was not firing again. <br />Pulled flywheel off and seen that the key was sheared off. Ok, put another key in and put it all back together again. <br />First couple of pulls and started for a few seconds. guess what . another key sheared. <br />I know that points shoud be set on .20. Are they set when open or when they close. You know when the lobe on the crank pushes it open, that is what I call open and then points come off of lobe. that is closed. <br />Like I said, should know this. <br />What else could keep shearing the keys. It pulls easy and started fairly easy <br />Any thoughts on this? <br />Thanks

NathanY

Commander
Re: Briggs & Stratton 5hp

Might have a bent crank if it is shearing keys like that. Try a steel key and see if it keeps doing it.

ChaosDad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Nate, thought about using steel key, will try that tomorrow and see what happens. I just wonder if I was not seating the flywheel tight enough. gonna give it another go and see. Gotta get it running, goto plans for a bunch fo tomatoes this year.<br />Thanks.<br />..D...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Your right, it's not tight enough.<br /><br />There is a tool that grabs the four "ears" on the pull starter clutch to tighten/remove it. If you don't have it, just put a block of hard wood against the ear, rest your foot against the flywheel to keep it from turning and drive it tight with hammer blows. Make sure the spark plug wire is disconnected. If you use a screwdriver, it can cut an ear off. And don't put a screwdriver in the fins of the flywheel, they break off easy.<br /><br />Notice that the washer is dished. Put it on the flywheel with the concave side against the flywheel. When the starter nut/clutch is tightened, the washer flattens. So it does take a bit of tightening to take out all the slack supplied by that washer.<br /><br />You'll be running in no time. <br /><br />Don't forget to lube the shaft where the starter clutch rides on it.

ZmOz

Captain

Don't use a steel key...they shear for a reason. That's like replacing a fuse with a nail. :rolleyes: They key should NOT hold the flywheel in any way, it only aligns it while you tighten down the starter clutch or nut. You would be just fine without a key if you align it very carefully. It definately sounds like the flywheel is not tight enough.<br /><br />Also, to lube the clutch you only want to put a drop of oil on the end of the crankshaft. Don't lube the whole thing, it will only attract dirt and make a horrible squeel.

one more cast

Captain

When you removed the flywheel the second was it "set" to the crankshaft or did it just lift right off? If it lifted right off you may have a small burr on the shaft that needs to be removed. I agree with ZmOz, Do not use a steel key. Also you set the points while at the highest point (open) or they will never close and it will never run.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A worn key way will cause keys to shear.

NathanY

Commander

Aluminum keys are used on lawnmowers so that when you hit a stump, you dont bend the shaft. But this is a Roto-Tiller, go ahead and use the steel key, and see if will sheer with it. If it does, then check the true-ness of your crankshaft. The key is just there to knock it out of time to keep it from running if you hit something very hard. I am assuming like the others said, that your flywheel is tight. It does not take that much to seat one.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> Aluminum keys are used on lawnmowers so that when you hit a stump, you dont bend the shaft.
All briggs and stratton engines come with aluminum keys for a reason. DO NOT use a steel key. If it is shearing, something is wrong. Fix the problem, not the key. Like I said above, using a steel key is EXACTLY the same as replacing a fuse with a nail. Do you do that too? If the key was actually used to keep the flywheel from turning on the shaft, like it is on a pulley on the other end of the shaft, you would be right. The key is NOT used to keep the flywheel from turning. That is not it's purpose. Many go-kart racers don't use a key at all, so they can advance the timing.

ChaosDad

Seaman Apprentice

Hey,thanks guys, worked on again this morning,went to the local hardware store and picked up a few more keys, aluminum is what they had, but anyway, when I put it back together again I made dang sure to get the flywheel on tight. Sure enough, it started on about the 4th pull and ran fine. Guess I just wasn't getting it on tight enough frist couple of times.<br />Thanks <br />..D...

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by ChaosDad:<br /> it started on about the 4th pull and ran fine.
Great. I keep a handful of Al. keys in the toolbox. Ya only use them once. I've had every one I tried to use twice shear upon reassembly.<br /><br />If doing what ya did, and it doesn't fire right up next year, clean the carb. real well. The rubber pump diaphram (if it has one)goes bad over time, and/or the little passages in there around the needle & jet will clog up.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never had a problem with reusing an aluminum flywheel key - if there is no evidence of a partial shear. <br /><br />The flywheel nut on 3 and most 5 hp models is torqued to 55 ftlb. if this is done you will not have sheared key problems.<br /><br />JD

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

In an emergency I have taken the sheared key and reinserted it 90* from its original position. Like Zmos said, it's not there to keep the flywheel from turning, its there to help you line up the timing. Just make sure it's tight. I even put a drop of oil or grease on the mating surface and keyway to prevent rust.

rwise

Captain

Yep I have done that also turn the sheared key and drop it back in, finish the job and go get new keys. then next time I have it apart put a new one in.