Portable Generator

travism

Seaman
I recently bought a used boat and the previous owner threw in his Honda EU2000 generator to seal the deal. I've used it on the boat a couple of times and it works great. They are calling for ice storms here tonight, which means my power might go out for a day or so. I was hoping to use the generator to run some things in the house while the powers out. <br /><br />I don't know what load it requires, but I'd like to try to keep my refridgerator running so food doesn't go bad. Will this genny be able to handle that? Will the fridge just not turn on if it can't, or could it hurt something if it's getting power but not enough power? Is it a problem to run a standard orange indoor/outdoor extension cord from the genny (outside on the deck), to the fridge? I'd also like to run a TV and some lights if possible. Has anyone else used this generator as a backup at their house.<br /><br />Thanks from a guy that obviously isn't real good at understanding electricity.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Portable Generator

Hi, according to the Honda web site the EU2000 is rated at an AC Output of 120V at 2000W max.(16.7A), and continuous at 1600W rated (13.3A). Therefore it'll run your fridge with no sweat. Check the info plate on the back of your fridge, it should indicate the current draw, if it only shows watts divide the watts by 120 to get the current in amps and compare to the info above. The biggest problem with fridges and motorized devices is the motor starting current, once started the fridge current draw drops down to probably about 400-600 watts or so. You will also be able to run your TV and some lights. However, if you add all the connected devices watts and get close to or exceed 1600 watts continuous the TV MAY be damaged when the fridge kicks on due to voltage drop. The voltage drop is worsened by using a long or small guage extension cord. The biggest danger is carbon monoxide poisoning, keep the unit outside, downwind from your house, and chained to something substantial, there were several deaths and many gens. stolen in Florida after the hurricanes. Good luck.

travism

Seaman

Thanks. Now I know what math I should be using - watts=amps x volts, right? Now I wonder if it is standard for most household items to have their power draw listed on them somewhere? Lights seem pretty self-explanatory (100 watt bulb, etc). I don't think this storm is going to be so bad that I need to worry too much, but it's good stuff to know. I think my plan for the time being will be to keep the fridge hooked up, then if we want to watch a movie or something, unhook the fridge for a couple hours while using the genny for other things and keep the fridge door closed. <br /><br />One last question for future reference - is there a way to hook the genny directly up to the house's main power at the circuit breakers or something so I wouldn't have to worry about running extension cords everywhere? I figure there has to be something that keeps the genny power from going out to the whole neighborhood. Or is that not worth it for 1-2 times each winter this happens and with this small of a genny? Thanks again.

spratt

Lieutenant

You can hook a generator to your fuse box, but you probably don't want to mess with that for a portable!! What happens, is that when you runa generator without some kind of system to break you from the main power lines, the power feeds BACK throught he power line, thus when a tech works on teh lines, it can hit him when he thinks the voltage is out altogether...but with that portable?? Just run an extension cord...

travism

Seaman

That's what I figured. Just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you decide to connect the generator at the breaker panel be sure and put a disconnect between the panel and the incoming feed. I work for a utility and we did some tests a few years ago on feedback voltage because some people were saying that the generator wouldn't be able to produce ustainable current if a load was placed on the distribution side of the panel. We used a 5kW genset and were able to place an almost dead short to ground on the transformer side and still the generator put out 100v at high current and the distribution voltage approached 7KV. Deadly to lineman working on the system. They are supposed to ground all lines before working on them, but in an emergency things get overlooked. Better safe than sorry.

ndemge

Commander

used to frequent www.rv.net ..great rv forum<br /><br />the EU Series were "THE" generator of choice for campers because of how insainly quiet they are.<br />And if you ever decide that you need more power, you can put 2 of them together in parallel, and they will sync up and give double the perfect quiet power.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

travism, correct.<br /><br />watts=volts times amps <br /><br />Based on the weather man you probably needed the gen, good luck,

travism

Seaman

Thanks for the responses. The power did go out, but not for long enough to worry about. But I'm that much more prepared for next time!

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Actually, in an AC circuit voltage times amperage only equals watts with a purely resistive load. In a complex load (inductive or capacitive) volts times amps equals VA. VA is apparent power watts is true power. Complex loads require more VA than watts. <br /><br />Why should you care? It's possible to not exceed the wattage rating of a generator and still overload it if you a running complex loads. Light bulbs are nearly pure resistive. Almost everything else has a inductive component.<br /><br />If you add up the load and the generator should run it, but doesn't. The generator is not the problem, the load is.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Something to throw into your calculations, TV's degauss the screen at startup for a few seconds (sometimes 10 - 15 sec). Some TV's draw an insane amount of juice to do this (thats the noise you hear when you first turn your set on). If you are running the gen I would suggest turning the T.V on first and leaving it on - then plug in the fridge.<br /><br />Aldo