Any BAT experts out there..?

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer
well I know a little about bat's they get into your house they fly back and forth for a while and then they land on the wall near the ceiling and you grab them with a glove or towel and throw them outside.I have done quite a few this way.<br /><br />well a friend of mine has a log A frame cabin with 2o foot ceiling's. we have had two bat sightings a friend was sleeping in the loft and this critter crawled onto his head that freaked him out we never saw the bat but we did see him last weakend before we lost him on one of the loggs.<br />So my technic will not work does anyone know of a way to trap a bat not sure how many are in there were hoping one although the one I saw looked small compared to the one I have seen in the past we hope they are not breeding..<br />All thoughts welcome thanks in advance.

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Any BAT experts out there..?

We've caught them in landing nets before, but I have no idea how to trap them. Best of luck.<br /><br />You need to call Batman! Quick, turn on the Bat beacon!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Might be able to find a live animal trap or a small box trap, bait it with fruit. <br />Might be able to use like a minnow trap type of design. A box with a funnell for the opening. Bat flies in but can't fly out.<br />Just a few ideas. Probbaly won't work, but worth a thought.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

I have a squirell trap I could line it with cardboard I don't know if the bat is heavy enough to spring it though....

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Call the fire department, let them handle it. :D The ladder truck will make quick work of them 20 foot walls.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You need to determine whether bats are living in the roof peak. With log homes, bats almost always end up living in the void above the peak log. Bats end up in the house because they get confused and come down through gaps and cracks along that peak log. You have to exlude the bats from living there, and seal any gaps/cracks along that peak log. It is a labor intensive ordeal, best done in the late fall/early spring in the northern climates because bats generally head south for winter or head to a hibernation roost in caves withing 200 miles of the house. This way, when they return the following late spring, they can't get in their habitat (the house), and relocate. Putting up bat boxes is helpful, that way they stay, help cut down on mosquitos, but are not in the house. Hope that helps a little.....

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

excellent adivice as usual from JJ... put up some<br />bat boxes and they won't be looking for a place<br />to hide in the peak. nature's skeeter control ;)

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use your fishing pole. Tie a couple of treble hooks up to resemle a moth.<br />suspend the hooks in their flight path.<br />Turn up the heat and grab a beer <br />When the bats grab the fly quickly set the hook

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the bats are there over an extended period of time, like a week or more, they are getting in and out regularly. This is almost always the case, so don't be fooled into thinking that if you catch them in a net you're done. You must find their source or sources of entry, get them out, then plug entry points. This is usually done over a 14 to 20 day period during warm or atleast reasonably warm weather. Once one-way devices are put in place to let them out, just wait a couple weeks. In a log cabin, finding the entry points could be difficult, but if you and atleast one other keep a watch starting an hour before dusk, you'll see them leave, and you won't believe how many there are. I used to grab a chair and a few beers, sit out-side and wait, to find mine.<br /><br />Bats who have found a home (yours) will leave every dusk and return before dawn. Once entry points are found, pros attach devices on the dwelling exterior that allow the bats to leave but not re-enter. There are pro devices made for this purpose, but most make their own from 2" diameter PVC pipe. Take a 12" length, cut a 25-30 degree angle on one end, and tape or attach 6-7 inches of nylon screening around the other end. Duct tape the angled cut end to the house's entry hole or point, angling the device downward. The bats will exit at dusk, and not be able to re-enter due to the screening attached to the pipe end (ruffle the screening so that it's not just round like the pipe and allows them to get back in, make cuts at the end opposite the pipe so it flops). Over several days they'll all leave, but they'll need a new home or they'll try to find a way back in. A bat house about 200-300 feet away helps.<br /><br />Rather than go through all the details, here's a site that describes everthing...how to find entry points, when and why all bats must be out, different types of bats, etc. http://www.batmanagement.com/Batcentral/batboxes/howmany.html <br /><br />Depending on the type of bat, some hibernate for the winter, some leave for the winter. I've been fortunate, I'm in a cold climate and have always dealt with small brown's that leave for the winter. Although I've used the technique mentioned above to vacate the bats, winter is the reprive to bat proof the eaves of the house. I've even had bats hide in the triangular space where clapboards tuck under a gable end rake board. It scares the hell out you when painting and a wet agitated bat is on the end of your brush...damn near fell off the ladder three or four times. <br /><br />Don't listen to advice that says to leave them alone, even if they're confined to an attic. They excrete where they live and it's not healthy for you to have a pile of excretement building up in your house. In many instances, particularly on a log cabin, if they are hiding behind something that's attached to your house, like an electrical or phone box, you'll come to recognize and notice their urine stains. It looks just like dried pine sap on the side of the house, eminating from the bottom of whatever is attached.<br /><br />Don't be dismayed...there definitely is a way to solve your problem, but be careful. You probably already know that bats are rabis carriers. You don't want to be bitten....<br /><br />Oh...almost forgot this last tid-bit of info...if they're flying around inside I have had success blasting them with a CO2 fire extinguisher. The burst temporarily freezes them, and is harmless to use in small amounts indoors, especially when the windows are open.<br /><br />A pro would charge about $400-500 in the northeast to rid bats of a small, fairly new house.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Wow that's a lot bat info they actually migrate..?<br /><br />Looks like we have some work to do in the spring.<br /><br />So hopefully it's just one,when and how do they breed, we will have to try and rouse it out and maybe snagg him with a tennis racket, net or sheet.<br />We will be drinking beer so maybe we will try the moth trick I wonder if perch colored rappalla would work...LOL<br /><br />Thanks again....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Caught a bat by accident many years ago. Nailed a #12 black gnat on my backcast. Hooked it in the web between hind legs. Was a very ticked off bat.<br /><br />I like bats. Like snakes and spiders they are very beneficial critters to have around. Like some snakes and some spiders they represent a minor hazard if you allow them to bite you, though. They have been known to carry rabies so don't let one bite you.<br /><br />No suggestions on the bat in the cabin. I think I would just let it be.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

MrBill is right about the bat droppings. Since bat removal/exclusion/cleaning is a part of my wonderful job, I cannot overemphasize the reality of bat droppings in the attic. I have done jobs where I have had to not only remove the enormous piles of droppings but also remove the insulation and anything else in the attic so it can be deodorized and cleaned. I have seen peoples belongings destroyed in a short period of time by bats. <br /><br />What I always like is going to a house that has a "mouse" problem. The people are baffled by the perfectly straight line of droppings across the livingroom floor. All I have to do is look up at the centerbeam of the vaulted ceiling the droppings are under and, no surpise, there are droppings stuck up there as well. Bat droppings look similar to mouse droppings, just darker and shinier. A lot of people think they have a huge mouse problem in their attic when in fact its bats.<br /><br />Anytime you deal with a large amount of bat droppings, the full respirator/body condom is a must. Too much chance of disease....

Realgun

Commander

So how much do you charge to get rid of the bats in Carslbad Caverns?<br /><br /><br />>>>>>>>>>>>> Could not resist JasonJ!

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

They're a protected species here. If they decided to move into my attic tomorrow, it would be illegal for me to "remove" them.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyone know where I can get an inexpensive bat house? I've got what I believe is maybe one or two big brown bats. Found where it enters (small opening in siding where outside wall meets cathedral ceiling). It/ they don't get into house, but I can hear em between cathedral ceiling and roof. Unfortunately he is apparently migrating here FOR winter. Had him last winter, disappeared in spring/ summer and thought I was rid of him, but he came back a couple of months ago. <br /><br />I've read how to exclude 'em, but would like to provide alternative quarters before I do (it's been in the mid teens to low 30s at night for the past couple of weeks). On the other hand, funds are tight, don't want to spend $40 or $50 on a bat house, and won't have time to make one near term. Was gonna just let him stay till spring, but have second thoughts after reading your posts above.<br /><br />Anyone know of an inexpensive bat house source?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Realgun, I charge $90 per man hour. Me thinks that would be a heck of a bill to pay....