Another GFI question

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
I need to install GFI's in my bathroom and garage in order to get a CO so I can close on my house sale. My dad says there are GFI breakers available, all I need to do is replace the breakers for those two circuits with the GFI breakers in the main panel (instead of using GFI outlets) and I'll be OK. Is this true? It's a Square-D panel. <br /><br />Thanks!

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Another GFI question

I dont think so. I had to do the same when I sold my last place for a FHA inspector. He said the GFI breaker would not cover the requirements for this county (Allen) or Indiana. Call a local builder in your area, or an electrical contractor for a definate answer. Good luck.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Steve, how many outlets you got in your bathroom?<br />More than one and I would say they would be on the same circuit.<br /><br />Is the garage seperate from the house?<br />Does it have it's own meter?<br /><br />This is just my opnion only, I always used the GFI outlets to be on the safe side.<br />That way you don't have to run to the breaker box/s to test them.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My bathroom has a vanity with an outlet on it. That's it. Only other electric in there is the lights in the vanity and the light on the ceiling. 10A breaker. The house originally had gas lighting and no electric, the pipes are still in the walls capped off. It's an old house. :) <br /><br />The garage is detached and is on it's own 15 or 20amp circuit (cant remember) going from the panel underground out to the garage. <br /><br />I can do the outlet easily in the garage, but in the bathroom it will require some surgery which is why I'm hoping that the breaker will suffice.

SpinnerBait_Nut

The vanity has a built in outlet I presume.<br />Yea check with a local contractor or the electric company to find out then.

sangerwaker

Commander

Yes, GFI breakers are available, but expensive. GFI outlets are roughly 10 bucks. Expect to pay 30-50 for a GFI breaker. Is your Square D panel a QO series? They have the little windows on each breaker that show if it is tripped.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> Yes, GFI breakers are available, but expensive. GFI outlets are roughly 10 bucks. Expect to pay 30-50 for a GFI breaker. Is your Square D panel a QO series? They have the little windows on each breaker that show if it is tripped.
What he said.<br />Write down your model number and go visit a Sq.D Distributor. they can fix you up.<br /><br />Maybe cheaper to replace the outlets.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Can you just remove the outlet and have no plug in the bathroom?<br /><br />Or put up a new GFCI outlet in a box? Doesnt have to be pretty, just make it pass the code. Let the new owners make it pretty.<br /><br />Ken

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

That's a thought Ken. I didn't realize the GFI breakers were that expensive. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to take a look around at home depot after work and make the decision there. If the outlets are really that much cheaper then that's what I'm going to go with. <br /><br />Thanks again everyone!

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Can you just remove the outlet and have no plug in the bathroom?<br /><br />Or put up a new GFCI outlet in a box? <br />
He will be required to have the outlets... at least you are here. <br /><br />If you are going to the trouble of removing the outlet, just replace it! GFCI are around $10 a piece. You can piggyback a second outlet to it. So, if your wiring allows, you can have 2 on 1 for an average of $5 a piece.<br /><br />There is a newer version circuit interupt out there now, I forget what they call them, they cost more than double the price of GFCI and are now code in some areas. I heard that some codes requires the new one's in every outlet, not just the bath or kitchen.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea different codes for different places.<br />I built this house in '81 and it don't have any in it.<br />I'm sure if I went to sell it, I would have to put some in.

sangerwaker

Commander

KaGee, those are arc fault interruptors, or AFCI's. Up here they are only required on bedroom circuits. There are onbly a few states with this code, bu more are looking at adopting it. AFCI's are only breakers, no AFCI outlets will will probably ever be made because of the way the code is written.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> KaGee, those are arc fault interruptors, or AFCI's. Up here they are only required on bedroom circuits. There are onbly a few states with this code, bu more are looking at adopting it.
Wonder why just on bedroom circuits?<br />Makes one wonder don't it? ;)

sangerwaker

Commander

Thay sya the statistics show most fires from an electrical arc happens in the bedroom.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> Thay sya the statistics show most fires from an electrical arc happens in the bedroom.
oh

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Check your states electric code. For a low cost you can put a GFI in yourself. Just remove your old outlet and put this one in. My bathroom has four outlets. It had none when I moved in, but I added all 4. I wired them all on the same circuit through the GFI. Now they are all basically GFI, and as one outlet is next to the tub it passed inspection. <br />I also put them by my kitchen sink and in my basement. <br />In Nebraska any outlet that is or could be near water has to be a GFI.

JB

This is a Non-boating Tech. question.<br /><br />Moving it there

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> KaGee, those are arc fault interruptors, or AFCI's. Up here they are only required on bedroom circuits. There are onbly a few states with this code, bu more are looking at adopting it. AFCI's are only breakers, no AFCI outlets will will probably ever be made because of the way the code is written.
Yep, that's it. I found this...<br /><br /> http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vhouse/articles/afci.htm

sangerwaker

Commander

Nice link, Keith. Thanks. Was informative for me and should be for others as well.<br /><br />Nice to see State Farm has a picture of a Square D QO load center there. :)

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe Im not understanding what your "surgery" would be if you had to swap out the old outlet and place a GFCI in....The gfci although is bigger then a normal outlet will push in and mount the same way the old outlet did....Just be careful as you are pushing the wires in the,if your not careful(especially in an old metal handy box) wires can be pinched on sides or if the box is shallow, it will be tough to get the gfci to fit, but it will go in.