Inkjet refill failure

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Refilled the PM and PC tanks. Now flesh tones are sunburned. I guess IMS inks do not infact work on Canon printers. They claim they do.... but this isn't good. <br /><br />Gonna buy a replacement tank in both colors from Canon and confirm this. <br /><br />Anybody know of anything I might have done wrong, or a procedure I left out?<br /><br />i960 by Canon.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Inkjet refill failure

IF it went "DRY" forget about reloading,no matter what you try it just doesn't work!!!at least not for ME.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have an HP OfficeJet G55 that is an "AWESOME" Printer. Has been for me anyway, I refill my black with generic black ink, I tried refilling my color cartrige once, but because I do a lot of photography It was never even close to a new cartridge, so I feel since I save on the black, I can splurge on the color. I have found a source for color cartriges at a great price though. Your problem could be as simple as just using the wrong ink. Contrary to popular beleif, all ink is not the same.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check out Consumer Reports report on aftermarket inkjet "refills".<br /><br />That is the real Consumer Reports, not the bogus wannabe "Consumer Somethingorother".<br /><br />They said they all are junk.

Stumpknocker

Actually they aren't all junk. Many users of refill inks are very happy, but they are using just a select few brands that give them the quality they seek. I have found out that this brand I purchased is too red or reddish tinted for the printer. I plan on ordering the refill inks from a known source this time that i960 users swear by. The difference between the good refill inks and "Canon" inks is barely if at all discernable. Many high volume users swear by them and have proven the inks quality over and over again. Neil Slade seems to have done his homework in this area and has posted many results showing the different inks and slight color differences. The IMS stuff I tried..... yuk. Buyers beware. I am not the only one.... other people with Canon printers have reported the same problems with IMS inks.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Freind of mine used refillable ink. had same problem listed above. Then the black ink started leaking. Ran out all over his printer. End of story, printer was full of ink he couldn't get cleaned. Ended up buying a new printer.

Stumpknocker

I have separate tanks. The black is still the original tank. He probably did not properly seal the hole that he filled the tank with. That will allow the tank to leak. For those that don't believe you can refill your inkjet tanks, I refer you to this website.<br /><br /> http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff3.html

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br /> Then the black ink started leaking. Ran out all over his printer. End of story, printer was full of ink he couldn't get cleaned.
Not following instructions to the "T" will result in what you have described. You actually need to squeeze the sides in a bit before installing the "Plug" if it has one. I actually use a small set of vise grips (Very lightly) to press the sides in just a little, You need to create a vacume so to speek. Im guilty of this the first time I did it also, I caught it before it caused a disaster. Oh, and over filling will do the same thing.

Stumpknocker

Thanks LubeDude. I rechecked everything several times.... works fine. Just tints flesh tones badly. I did some research and found out that other IMS consumers reported the same thing. When I purchased this brand of ink I was suspicious because it was rather inexpensive. Even for refill kits. But when the Inkgrabber tanks get here I'll just pull the two bad tanks out and toss em. No foul. Still printing photos of things besides people. Tint not too bad for some shots.

McGR

I tried the refill kits several years back with poor results. All I seemed to accomplish with these kits was ruined clothing. After a couple of bad experiences with these things, I came to the realization that they didn't quite work as advertized. However, I have had great sucess with aftermarket cartridges. Now, I'm not a printing connoisseur, so maybe my standards aren't as high as folks very into digital photography etc, but I've had what I consider very good results from aftermaket cartridges. For general purpose day in, day out printing they seem to work fine for me. I always get my cartridges on eBay for a fraction of the cost of store bought OEM cartridges. Now, granted again, I have a somewhat dated Epson LQ-750 which is almost 5 years old. But I can get b lack cartridges for about $2.00 each and colors for about $3.00 each, which is light years away from the OEM store prices of $20-40 per cartridge. Because of the cheap cost of operating this printer, I'm reluctant to upgrade any time soon. It seems to me that I could get a much better printer for a modest investment. However, it would probably cost me a small fortune to operate (my wife is a teacher constantly printing for her class). I'm sure the name of the game in the world of printers is give the printers away and gouge 'em on cartridges. So... for now I'll hang on to my old Epson and cheap eBay cartridges.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As I recall, Consumer Reports found that one of the problems with non OEM cartridges or refill ink was that the colors faded MUCH sooner than the real thngs.<br /><br />So it might be worthwhile using OEM for printing photos you're gonna want to keep, non OEM or refill ink for economizing on stuff you're not going to care about in 5 years.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use Carrot Ink's InkTec on both my HP printers - couldn't be more satisified. The cost is about 1/4 the cost of cartridges at Costco, Sams Club or BJs. Only drawback I've found is that once refilled, the sensors that tell you ink level no longer work.

Stumpknocker

Update to the refill scenario. I ordered some replacement tanks from Inkgrabber.com. They ship the refill already in a factory type container that you just snap into your printer. Just like Canon's. No messing with ink bottles and refill messes. Printed out some re-prints... back in business! They look just like Canon's. The cost of a tank is $2.50 vs $11 for Canon's. Quite a savings.