If I post a truck VIN #.....

NathanY

Commander
Can someone tell me what year it is and other details about it? or do it by email or what ever....

one more cast

Captain
Re: If I post a truck VIN #.....

post it with an email address and if its not too old i'll send you history report.

NathanY

Commander

1GCHV33K0MF301647<br /><br />nathanyerger@earthlink.net<br /><br />Thanks guys..

one more cast

Captain

Nate ,its a '91 chevy 30/3500 crew cab 4wd.<br /> It is against the rules for me to send you a car history report..(thats what they told me when I tried to send it.) but it has alot of miles on it and no problems found.

NathanY

Commander

Yeah that is what I found too. I am trying to find the history on it, where it came from and such. Particularly, why it is a 91 with the bodystyle of a 86.. Here is a pic of it.
watermark.php

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OMC, just CC&P the report, that way your not sending it.

one more cast

Captain

Tried that SBN and when I pasted it a big warning came up. It says I can make a copy so I scanned it....Hope you don't have dial up Nate. I somehow sent them open.

TilliamWe

Banned

Nate, I am not sure of the exact years, but when Chevy changed the body style in 87, they only did it on the half tons. The 3/4 & one tons took a while to get the new sheetmetal & such. Looks like 1991 was the last year. Starting in 1992, even a "chassis/cab" had the same sheetmetal as the half ton trucks<br />Mitchell Crash Estimating decoded that VIN as a 1991 V30 Pickup 4door Crew Cab 8' bed 164" wheelbase. As happens occasionally, it couldn't decode the engine. But the engine should be a 5.7, cause the eight digit is a K.

aspeck

Staff member

Can you find any of the other VIN's to make sure they match the dash one? On the doors, under the seat, on the frame, etc. There are a bunch of VIN's all over the vehicle.<br /><br />Had an 81 Grand Prix come into the shop once, only VIN said it was a 76 Sunbird. "Owner" went to jail - was stolen from the Philly area, and the VIN came from a junk yard about 10 miles from us.

TilliamWe

Banned

Nate, if you want to know axle ratios & whether it's got posi or not, look in the glove compartment for a sticker with a bunch of three character codes on it. Go to the G's and that's axle ratio & posi codes. G80 means it has posi, GU6=3.42 GT4=3.73 GT5=4.10

aspeck

Staff member

TilliamWe is correct on the body style change.

NathanY

Commander

got it. Thanks OMC.<br /><br />I am trying to restore this truck, but having a problem locating parts, am having to order some parts for suburban of same year, to get ones that work because of the four door thing.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just FYI you can type in a 17 digit VIN into google which will lead you to carfax. When you get there you will get the make model and year of the vehicle. <br /><br />Try it with the VIN posted in this message.<br /><br />Bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating Tech.

TilliamWe

Banned

"am having to order some parts for suburban of same year, to get ones that work because of the four door thing."<br /><br />Good thinkin there Nate. Sheetmatal & trim stuff should be the same. But be aware that brakes, shocks, axles, and stuff like that might not be the same. Mostly cause you have a one ton truck (V30) and a Suburban at the most will be 3/4 ton. (V2500)