Gear pointer is off, how to adjust on 97 Merc Mountianeer?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Took a quick look under the dash to check out the gear selector mechanism but can't see a thing as it's all closed in. In the last week or two the pointer to the gear selection is off. When in "D" it points to "2", when in Park it points to "R". This is not only annoying, it is unsafe. <br /><br />Anyone know how this mechanism works? Is it a cable or linkage driven pointer? How do you get to it? I hate to just start taking stuff apart without knowing what I'm doing, especially seeing as the garage is only about 30* and my tools are frozen.<br /><br />The trans is shifting OK so I'm sure it's just the pointer over the steering column that is off.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Gear pointer is off, how to adjust on 97 Merc Mountianeer?

It's a small cable. I repaired one once using a plastic coated steel leader from the tackle box. It is a pain in the butt. If you can live with it just leave it until springtime.<br /><br />Bob

ob

Admiral

Mark ,Many of the console shift position pointers can be adjusted as follows:<br /><br />Place the gear shift lever in the neutral position<br /><br />Using a rubber band or bungie ,hold the lever forward against the neutral detent.<br /><br />Disconnect the shift link from the tranny housing under the vehicle and manually place it in the neutral position by clicking it all the way forward and then bringing it back two detent positions.<br /><br />If the hole from the tranny lever and shifter linkage isn't aligned ,adjust linkage adjuster until it is and reconnect.<br /><br />You'll need to have the vehicle securely up on jack stands to perform this adjustment.<br /><br />Hope that may shine some light on your issue.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bob and ob,<br /><br />Thanks for your answers. I may just live with it until March, when the garage is warm enough to work in. <br /><br />Another job to add to the "to do" list.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Well I got to it this past weekend. What a piece of cake! Just remove the plastic knee bruising panel under the column, then remove the steel knee crushing panel behind that (about 5 screws in each panel) and there is the cable. A stinking little plastic clip broke. If it was metal it would not have broken. So I wrap a piece of 14 guage house hold electric wire sans insulation and twist it to hold the broken clip together. Basically a big "twistie". So far so good.