Motion Sensor Light Vs. Cordless Phone

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, on the deck out back I've got one of those lights with the motion sensor that turns it on. <br /><br />Recently, I purchased a Uniden Cordless phone system.<br /><br />It took me a couple of weeks to figure this out, but every time the phone rings or we turn on one of these phones, the light on the deck turns on.<br /><br />The base unit for the cordless phones is mounted on the wall almost on the backside of where the light is mounted outside.<br /><br />It's not a big deal, just a little strange! Anyone else ever had something like this happen?

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: Motion Sensor Light Vs. Cordless Phone

Oh! OOOOPS! My bad, I thought this was gonna be a fight thread like King Kong vs Godzilla :p <br /><br />I woulda liked to see your phone and lights go at it though!<br /> :D <br />Well, as you were.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Getting any headaches? Sounds like that phone is throwing out a substantial RF field. Hmmmm... oh that's right cell phones are linked to brain damage so they say.<br /><br />Bob

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Every night I come home I call in on the radio (UHF). Every time I key the mic the motion lights come on. <br />Move your phone to a diffrent location and see if it helps.

Twidget

Commander

Is it a 2.4GHZ phone by chance? If so, its the RF from the phone setting it off. A 2.4GHZ phone will also jam a wireless network. :)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good input everyone.<br /><br />Bass man, If the phone and the light did get into a brawl, I'd put my money on the light.. It's bigger, you can't sneak up on it (oh yea, I've tried) and it gets hot. All the phone can do is call 911 when it's scared... :D :p <br /><br />I'm sure moving it would fix the problem because I also have a motion flood light at the basement back door and it doesn't effect that one.<br /><br />It's one of the 5.8 GHZ phones.<br /><br />I also had the hardest time figuring out a couple of years back that every time I turned on my 2.4 GHZ phone, the wireless network would crap out.. ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a good deal to me. This way when you are mowing the lawn and can't hear the phone "ring", you will see the light and know someone is calling. You can jump off the mower and run to the house, slipping on the steps of the deck, cracking your forehead open on the railing, and staggering into the house just in time to miss the call.<br /><br /> Better do something about it before this actually happens.<br /><br />Did anyone really have any trouble with the 900mhz phones? now its 2.4 and 5.8???

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I had a TV that if I put my Nextel phone near it and the phone rang the TV would turn on. It was weird.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the world of Electromagnetic Compatibility.<br /><br />Years ago I had a television with a noisey high voltage power supply. When you turned the TV on it would open the garage door.

dolluper

Captain

The uhf on old tv's can pick up many cell and cordless phone conversations for the spy's out there

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

we have a motion light on the front of the house and when I turn the ceiling fan on in the living room (which is in the front of the house) the motion light will triger on. I think it has something to do with it being on the same electrical circut as the motion light. If your phone is still in the same place and doing it try an experiment. Run an extension cord to the phone from a different circut and see if it still does it.

Twidget

Commander

I had a neibor put a motion detector on the side of his house. He had the sensitivity cranked so high tht I could set it off walking past a window with a drawn curtain.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forumula1974, <br /><br />You just reminded me of something ... a few years back, a buddy of mine had a remote control celing fan. When I would hit the button on my keychain to lock my car door, the celing fan would spin about a 1/4 turn.<br /><br />Regarding the electrical circut, I bet they are on the same circut - both a GFCI because the phone is in the kitchen and the light is outside. My guess is that it's RF causing the glitch though.