MIG welders

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Just need some opinions on cheap wire feed welders. I know a person who works for a tool dealer. It is one of those tool companies that travels around selling stuff. I usually won't buy anything from these dealers. He has a wire feed welder, gas not flux core, for sale. It is a Century, 100 amp welder. Brand new, only has a small scratch on the cover because it was a dispaly model. It is selling for $100.<br />Now I have a CEM wire welder that was given to me. My uncle got it years ago, and it never worked right. He gave it to me to try to use, but I can't get it to work. It just will not hold an arc. <br />I will use it for light work, welding floor pans in cars, welding fenders on cars that sort of thing. Only as a hobby welder. <br />Has anyone else ever had any experience with one of these? Are they any good? <br />I think it is only a 110 plug, so the duty cycle I am sure is rated low.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: MIG welders

You should be fine seeing as you are using it as you describe. Spool it with .023 wire and 25 75 Argon gas and go for it.<br /><br />I have a cheap one I bought from Harbor Freight, it is a pore excuse for a welder as far as quality goes, but for light duty it works fine. If you are in business as an Auto Body Shop, you will wear it out in no time. As a Hobby welder it should last quite awhile.

ehenry

Commander

LubeDude speaks words of iron ! Go with the .023 gauge wire and you'll be fine. The reason you're having problems now it that your wire may be a little heavy and the feed is set a little to fast.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To Non-boating Tech.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

My welder I have now is spooled with .030 wire. I may try smaller wire first to see how it goes.

dolluper

Captain

Make sure your workpiece is grounded good ,cable end not frayed .broken espesily where it's wound up just 2cents

Bondo

Staff member

It is a Century, 100 amp welder. Brand new, only has a small scratch on the cover because it was a dispaly model. It is selling for $100.
No Doubt,....... That's a Super Great Deal..........

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey LubeDude, next time you're up Vancouver way, you can stop by and teach me how to use my 110 v Lincoln wire welder. I've even got the gas bottle for it but I have never been able to weld squat with it.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Something to look out for - polarity on most migs can be reversed depending on whether you are using gas or gasless, the initial arc will be greatly affected if the polarity is wrong.<br /><br />Aldo

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a little 110 Lincoln,it's very picky about the power supply. If you run an extension cord make sure it's a bigin.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Ditto Dunaruna's tip... <br />Make sure the polarity is right... I just bought a Lincoln not too long ago... Polarity was wrong right out of the box..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Ditto Dunaruna's tip... <br />Make sure the polarity is right... I just bought a Lincoln not too long ago... Polarity was wrong right out of the box..
How does one check the polarity???

Dunaruna

Admiral

Different brands use different techniques, I'm not familiar with the lincoln but I believe most would be similar and the higher end units probably have a switch on the front. Mine is a mig-o-mag (240v 200amp cheapy)<br /><br />
P1200001.jpg
<br /><br />If you look at the sticker in the centre of the pic you can see the negative/positive configuration - mine is configured for gas. You can still get and untidy but strong weld if the polarity is wrong - you need to crank up the juice and heat up the workpiece first but it will skip and jump and fill up the nozzle in no time - not worth the headache and the constant arcing will shorten the life of the machine.<br /><br />Aldo

Paul Moir

Admiral

There should be something in the manual about it. But to be sure, do this:<br /><br />1) Set your multimeter to DC Volts. Expect 30 volts or so if it's a manual.<br />2) Make sure the red lead is in the right hole in your meter. :) <br />3) Set the welder to 0 wirefeed speed or unclamp the roller feed so you don't waste wire.<br />4) Clamp the ground lead to the black lead.<br />5) Fire up the welder and press the gun button.<br />6) Touch the red lead to the tip.<br /><br />If it reads -30v, it's set up for FCAW (flux-core). If it reads +30v (or so), it's set up for MIG.<br /><br />I just got a little Lincon 110v FCAW welder to play with a few months ago. I'm thinking of converting it to MIG soon.<br /><br />EDIT: Aldo beat me to it - With pictures at that!<br /><br />PS - thanks for the link ndemge!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have a little 110 Century, I have welded all sorts of junk with that thing. It does not have gas capability, but I don't care. I grind my nasty ugly welds anyway. As long as they hold, thats all that counts.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I just checked the community college schedule for 'wire feed and tig welding' classes. I guess they figure you want to make a career out of it. <br /><br />Wire feed and Tig Welding 1 (the class) runs for 3 hours a night on Tues, Weds and Thurs. This for a whole quarter. Sheesh!<br /><br />An Oxy and shielded metal arc 101 class runs 5 days a week for 4 hours each day. I guess that leaves out the hobbiest.<br /><br />Thanks all for the 'polarity' info. I'll check out my Lincoln to see what it is set at.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Boomyal, and all.. <br /><br />I picked up a copy of the "Welders handbook".. It was about $20 bucks at Home Depot and worth every penny.. Lots of good tips in it... A must read, IMO.. :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

My little wire welder I have now is a 110 CEM. It is gas only, and is about 15 years old. It has never worked right from day one. <br />After posting this I went out and threatened it telling it I was going to throw it away and get a different one. Then I tried it, and it works kind of good. <br />It will often sputter a lot. Instead of the nice arc it will sound like poppoppoppoppoppop and deposit small balls of weld on the surface. Not enough penetration to hold anything. But then it will kick off and run great for a few inches. <br />I do body work as a hobby so I only use spot welds so as not to warp the car body. <br />Does anyone know if this welder has a polarity switch somewhere?