Anyone have Satellite HDTV?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now that I have a HDTV capable TV I am wondering about getting HDTV by satellite.<br /><br />I have DirecTV now. They seem to want me to buy a new receiver and subscribe to their limited HDTV programming to get high definition. True costs are vague and undefined.<br /><br />The DISH Network folks are bombarding me with all sorts of incentives to switch to DISH. A lot of it sounds like bait and switch. They are very vague about high definition programming.<br /><br />Does anyone out there have satellite HDTV? Which one? What does it REALLY cost to install and then use? Do you like it? Is it worth it?<br /><br />I appreciate any experience and opinions offered.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anyone have Satellite HDTV?

Before looking at upgrading you satellite connection, be careful. A HDTV capable TV might not be what you think it is. If the screen has the same aspect ratio as a conventional TV, you won't gain much from HDTV. HDTV uses a widescreen format. The screen should be wider and shorter than a conventional TV screen. Also make sure you won't need a special adaptor for HDTV programming.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

JB, I don't have satellite HD, I have cable, so can't help you there.<br /><br />But for quality of picture, there is no comparison. If you switch from standard NBC/CBS/ABC to the HD counterpart, there's no going back. Even the programming that is not in HD is clearer due to the better signal and the better inputs. Lucky for me there is no additional cost where I am, just have to have them install the HD cable box.

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB,<br />I just got a HDTV and upgraded my Dish receiver to HD. The cost is about $5/mo and an installation charge that they initially told me was going to be $99.95, but they subsequently told me that it will be $34.95. I haven't seen the bill yet, but there isn't a whole lot of HDTV programming on the channels I watch so it really was more to get the HD DVD pictures, and have a big (52 in) picture. The quality is great and makes TV viewing more enjoyable. The NFL playoffs are broadcast in HD and the difference is remarkable.<br /><br />The format issue is real, but my set has variable formats so I can choose whatever I want when viewing standard TV, which by the way is far better on the big screen HDTV.<br /><br />The advantage with DirecTV is you can get a TiVo recorder which provides a lot of flexibility if you want to pay the big $$$ ( about $300). Dish also has a recorder like TiVo but it's not as fancy although still expensive.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess I should offer more info about my situation.<br /><br />My new TV is a Sony 55" LCD projector unit with HD decoder built in. It is 16x9 format. I can adjust the display about 4 different ways to get a 16X9 picture from a 4X3 signal.<br /><br />The picture is far superior to the 32" 4X3 CRT unit I used before, with whatever signal. At 75miles my antenna reception is not very good so I mostly watch the DirecTV input using the S-video connection. The DirecTV receiver is about 5 years old.<br /><br />I have a progressive scan DVD player with component video connections and the picture is really great.<br /><br />I am not sure that I want to spend the extra bux for limited programming via Satellite. <br /><br />I do think I want to upgrade my antenna to good reception of HDTV (free) from broadcast stations in DFW. Our PBS channel broadcasts frequently in HD.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I do think I want to upgrade my antenna to good reception of HDTV (free) from broadcast stations in DFW. Our PBS channel broadcasts frequently in HD.
Yes.<br />So you are within a 75 miles of DFW...<br />I would start with the radio shack UHF outdoor antenna (it's just the front (UHF) part of a traditional antenna). If that doesn't work, the best antenna I'm aware of is a Channel Master 4228. I have one of those with a preamp in my attic and get fabulous reception from towers almost 40 miles away.<br /><br />I, ya right my wife and kids have Direc TV HD everything so we can help you along the way.<br /><br />For Direct TV's HD programming you will need an Direc TV HD receiver. I paid $600 and it still sells for $300 they do have deal going for subscribers in good standing where you can get an HD receiver for $50 to $100 depending on if you want their OTA antenna installed I hear the antenna is crap and most are declining the OTA antenna and paying $50 total. Of course with any Direc TV deal or change comes a 1 year contract to Direc TV's HD package not sure what it is now I think it was $10.<br />I pay about 130 for everything I have 3 tivo's an HD box and 1 regular box. :confused: <br /><br />I am heading to Redlake for slab crappies... :) .<br />I'll check back Thrusday.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

When you buy your new antenna get a MAST mounted amplifier from Radio Shack. The mast mount amplifier mounts on the antenna and amplifies the signal where it's the strongest. The output is 75ohm coax so it is easy to put into a switch and switch between cable and antenna.<br /><br />I'm about 60 miles from NYC with a lot of ambient RF noise. With a good quality antenna and the mast mount amplifier I get perfect signals.