Question about computer memory

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting ready to add some memory to my desktop. What is in the machine now is PC2100. I am told that PC2700 is "backwards compatible" with the PC2100 and will work on my machine. Does anyone know if this is true? I can buy the PC2700 cheaper so will use it if I can. Thanks in advance.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Question about computer memory

It shouldn't be any problem, I've done it myself.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

It usually depends on the motherboard. I don't know what you have but...my advise is...don't mix different speeds. Just had bad results.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

...don't mix different speeds.
Thats the thing. The ram isn't actually operating at a different "speed". It is simply rated at a speed for which it is capable. It is backwards compatable, and 9 times out of 10 will work just fine at slower speeds. In fact it is more likely to be stable at slower operating frequencies, below its 'limit'.<br /><br />If you're into the high tech performance ram, and dual channel setups to optimize system bus speeds then it would matter. If you're asking this question I suspect overclocking is not your primary hobby.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

AMD Rules- I could almost make a guess as to what overclocking is :confused: You are correct, boats and shooting sports are my hobbies. My sole requirement on the computer is to make it more gaming friendly for my kids.<br /><br />My understanding is that the pc2700 memory will run at pc2100 speed & that while I will gain nothing from going to it...it should work fine. I do have one other question. I have 2 memory slots, one of which is empty...the other has a single 184 pin card with 256 mb. The memory I am looking at for the empty slot is 512 mb. Is it OK that they are different sizes? The system will handle up to a gig. My "reasoning" here is the the 512 mb has a rebate and is actually cheaper than the 256 mb.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.........

Realgun

Commander

Your best bet is to get 1 stick or 2 of the 512mb.<br />PC 3200 PC2700 PC2100 is all the same in how it works. The 3200 will work in any motherboar but the 2100 will not function at a higher speed.<br />Kind like-<br />You can use 5w-30, 10w-40, and 20w-50 oil in just about any vehicle but the engine needs the correct oil to work best. Some oil is better than no oil.<br />What I am trying to say is use 1 brand of memory. Do not mix sizes such as 1 stick of 512 and 1 of 256. <br />If you use the same brand and size then you should not have stability issues. As you only have 2 slots and a 1 gig max you can only use 2 512 meg sticks. You will see a better performance increase from 256 to 512 than from 512 to 1 gig.<br />My suggestion is to try the PC2700 it will work in your system just fine.<br /><br />I have worked as a Micron certified PC tech and here is an I wrote a while back.<br /> article

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Good advice Realgun.<br /><br />Relentless, while you're reading his nice article on that reference site, browse around a bit and you'll find out what overclocking is all about :)<br /><br />Refer to your motherboard manual for preferred memory configuration. I've had lots of good success mixing brand, speed rating, & size of memory, but won't disagree with Realgun's advice/experience.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gentlemen...thanks for the advice, and the good reading. Now all I have to do is find my motherboard manual:)