Cable TV Patch Panel

ndemge

Commander
I'll be helping my brother terminiate his phone/network/cable this weekend in his new house.<br /><br />We will be using patch panels for the phone/network side of the install, but we havn't decided what to use for the coax..<br /><br />there are about 15 home runs in the house. What we would like to do is terminate each home run into a patch panel, and go from there into another panel or splitter with short patch cables for the tv's in use, either by satelite or by tv antenna<br /><br />Any recomendations on how you would do this?

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Cable TV Patch Panel

Hi Noel.<br /><br />Check out one of these<br /><br /> web page<br /><br />They have a 2Ghz model also if the bandwidth is not adequate on the 1 Ghz model.<br /><br />EDIT- I see this one won't work for satellite. Sorry. These are also basically 2 2x8 units in one frame.

ndemge

Commander

That's basically all I'm after is a set of M-M F connectors for RG6<br /><br />..unless someone has a better thought on how to do this... anyone do this for a living?

sangerwaker

Commander

If you want to go that route, maybe take a look at these<br /><br /> web page <br /><br />Or maybe you could use a blank patch panel and insert all the F connector modules.<br />Like this for a patch panel web page <br />You could wall mount it using a bracket if you wanted.<br /><br />and insert these<br /> web page <br /><br />They are available in many colors other than white.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you're trying to do what I think, what about using an amplifier(s) that has multiple inputs and outputs as a central terminal for the main inputs and branch each run out from the amp? Thats what I did (amp is on a shelf in the basement). The one I have only has something like 2 inputs and 4 outputs, but I think they make them with alot more. With that many terminals won't you need to amplify the signal anyways, especially if it's a satellite feed?<br /><br />Are you running 2 cables (1 for cable and 1 for antennae) to each terminal or just 1 that would handle whichever you decide to use? <br /><br />Am I right in that it sounds like you're trying to 'daisy chain' the cable from one room to another to cut down on the amount/ number of cables you have to run? If so, my suggestion wouldn't accomplish that, but it would allow one cable to provide different sources to each terminal, depending on how you switch it at the amplifier. Course the down side to that is that the switch is in the central location, can't do it from each specific terminal.<br /><br />Note that I'm no expert on this stuff, and may not even understand exactly what you're trying to do. So feel free to ignore this post if it makes no sense or is of no use to you. But I did want to pass on how I handled getting a decent satellite signal to multiple locations in my home (done after the house was completed, unfortunately).<br /><br />edit: actually, what I'm talking about would be very similar to Sangerwaker's first link if you centralized the distribution module and added the video amplifier. Difference is that instead of adding an amp to a distribution module, I bought an amp that has distribution capability built in (plus it allows more than one input).