Hey LUBEDUDE

walleyehed

Admiral
Lubey, what do you think about using synthetic in the tranny's of our old willys jeeps we use at our hunting preserve.<br />When I came back this weekend for a trial, I cranked one of them up and it wouldn't move????<br />I thought the diff. was locked up but the drive shaft was free when you rocked the jeep fore and aft but was solid at the transfer case.....moisture I guess. <br />Would syn help with suspension of the condensation any????

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hey LUBEDUDE

If ya put a plug in the vents when ya drive it thru three feet of water, you wouldn't have the problem. :D <br /><br />Seriously, synthetics do have a better ability to deal with 'moisture', but without knowing how much moisture it would be hard to say. Synthetics definitely stay put on the metal parts better than Dino oil, so if it just condensation, then I would say go for it.<br /><br />Did you ever break it loose?

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, Bommyal answered the quwstion about the synthetics OK, But if the transfer case was indeed frozen, there had to be some damage done inside even if you did get it to turn. I recently tore a 4 SP from a 65 Covette apart that had been sitting indoors most of its last ten years, You wouldnt have beleived the condition of the bearings and shafts. Had to replace them all. It wasnt makeing noise either. Some times if you use a synthetic in the older trans missions that have rather large gears, they tend to (Run on) so to speek and can cause gear clashing when you shift. If you wait a second or two between shifts for the gears to slow down it isnt a problem.

walleyehed

Admiral

It broke loose as soon as the temp was above freezing a ways...(40F.+). At 20 degs., it wouldn't budge. It got into the low 40's yesterday and I drove it back to our farm where we keep them and put'er in the shop (65 degs.)<br />Gonna drain what I can tomarrow and see just whats in there...

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Walleyed, had a Case with water in the tranny. For many years I would just warm the motor up for 10 minutes or till it thawed and off to work we'd go. I would never remember to change the oil in the spring cause it was never a problem then.. ten years later before I sold it I changed the oil, didn't take much water to lock it up tight, but it weren't broke...just a thought :)

walleyehed

Admiral

Not to sound like a 2-stroke oil fiasco, but what should I use in these????<br />We only use them in the winter here at our hunting trials, and it'd be darn nice if I didn't have to worry about taking one out of use due to the cold.<br />We made a total of 174 team runs in 11 fields (2 guys, 1 dog) this past weekend, and loosing 1 jeep slows things considerably.

walleyehed

Admiral

^ Sorry guys, I gotta head back to Tx in 2 days, so I'd like to get these done before I leave if any have a good sugestion.<br />Thx.

rwise

Captain

change the oil (dino or synth) and run the vent line/s with a flex hose to above the expected water line!

LubeDude

Admiral

Sorry, Ive been a little busy latly.<br /><br />Id use a synthetic as the temperature you are experiencing is cold most of the time, and you are unlikly to be speed ****ing. Its simply amazing how good an old standard transmision will shift when cold if it has synthetic oil in it.<br /><br />rwise has a great Idea about the vent lines.