Framing question for you builders.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
When I worked for builders/remodelers in my high school and college years we always put a 14" length of 2x4 horizontally (about half way up the wall) between all 2x4 wall studs.<br /><br />Now I see new homes being built without it. They even leave it out on "this old house". And my own home built in 1991 was framed without the horizontal piece. I think it was intended to retard the spread of fire in hollow walls.<br /><br />Without that 14" piece, it is really easy to snake wires. Was this piece left out because it is just unnecessary or is it just a cost cutting measure?<br /><br />Mark.<br /><br />Edit to include this pic: This is how I frame walls, but now they seem to leave out the horizontal, and I learned that there is always a double top plate on a wall, not a single.<br /><br />
buildwall.5.jpg

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Framing question for you builders.

Costcutting measure Mark. It served 2 purposes, one as a nailer for the sheetrock, and two as a firebreak.

dolluper

Captain

The double was added as a fire break containment no savings but speed ,use chainsaws now for speed also

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Dolluper,<br /><br />I have to disagree with your assessment of the double top plate. My understanding is a double top plate is needed for support; IE unless the above floor joist falls directly over a stud, it's weight needs to be supported by more than a single 2x4 spanning a 14.5" distance. Therefore, double top plate gives the extra support to prevent the top plate from sagging between studs. <br /><br />Conversely, the floor or sole plate only needs to be a single because it has the added support of the sub floor between it and the floor joists below. <br /><br />These methods I learned in my Architectural drafting classes in high school, so I assume they represent standard building practices (at least here in the northeast).<br /><br />Regarding the use of chainsaws, I would not condone it's use on any structure of my own. Those machines are 1) Dangerous, 2) lack the ability to make precision cuts. <br /><br />But I can see how a builder can save time and lumber by using a single top plate and leaving out the fire block, and save time by using chainsaws.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Mark.

dolluper

Captain

It's diffently there for support since you don't have the support half way up we used to stagger them every couple not just half way . It would be nice to get real 2 by 4's the 14"cut would come up a little short now sorry I didn't add the support earlier have a nice day<br /><br /><br />'

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

The double topplate is used for tying everything together.., the distance between the studs is 14 1/2". I've cut many a stack of fireblock with a skillsaw, and the actual cut I made was closer to 14 3/8". I like to see them used, but it can take as much time to nail'emon and it takes to fram the entire house sometimes. just a thought :)

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was always told that it was for stopping the flow of gases. That as a fire would spread the wall would act like a flue. In the old days walls did not have insulation, as a can verify since my house was built about a ninety years ago, now a days there stuffed full of insulation which serves the same point.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by qaztwo:<br /> I was always told that it was for stopping the flow of gases. That as a fire would spread the wall would act like a flue. In the old days walls did not have insulation, as a can verify since my house was built about a ninety years ago, now a days there stuffed full of insulation which serves the same point.
That would make sense then for a reason to not use them on an exterior wall. But what about an interior wall?<br />Those aren't stuffed with insulation. Wouldn't they still act like a flue?<br /><br />AK Chappy

dolluper

Captain

Doubles were used in Canada since at least the 60's maybe sooner ,the only singles we used with the appox half support were in non load bearing walls ,we only did it in basements [reno's] where foundations and posts gave support or building small sheds ,garages were all doubles. Also the use of chainsaws was because of portability on many remote sites much easier to carry in and no heavy generator to carry or cords to trip over.Besides the only part wrong cutting with a very sharp chainsaw is the operator as in any other cutting devise :rolleyes:

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Use of a double topplate in a basement where you are connecting to an existing ceiling does nothing. If you are attatching walls together while looking at the sky you add the top plate in such a way that attatchee walls are overlapped by the top plate of the wall being added. The blocking is also the firebreak, as are the top and bottom plates. just a thought :)

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The horizontal piece is to eliminate or minimize a potential fire chase, as many have noted. It is a virtual necessity (possibly legal requirement) when using the balloon framing technique that was common in late-50's, early 60's tract building. In platform framing (Marks picture) the chase or vertical space located between studs is usually limited to 8 feet or less and does not represent the baloon framing hazard of a 16 foot chase spanning two floors of a dwelling.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Double top plate is only required at load bearing walls. <br />Fire blocking is required between floors or ceilings. Also if wall is over 10' high. The purpose is to cut off the flow of hot gasses between floors.<br />The horizontal blocking in walls helps to distribute any loads to the next stud as well as provide a nailer for drywall. Most drywallers like to lay it horizontally.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I love reading about peoples ideas and building techniques .. <br /><br />..mostly shows the many ways how not to do something and is all-in-all situational at best.