New auto paint maintenance

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
I just had my 2001 Silverado repaired after hitting a deer recently and the paint looks great! The guy at the body shop said not to use wax because the combination with acid rain will damage the finish. He suggested using Race Glaze which looks like good stuff but I thought I would ask for some opinions here. Maguires products seem to be very popular also. Some prerequisites, I only want to do one coat if possible and the least amount of buffing the better. I live in upstate NY which is a little harsh on vehicles.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brian

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: New auto paint maintenance

Originally posted by BRG25:<br /> The guy at the body shop said not to use wax because the combination with acid rain will damage the finish. He suggested using Race Glaze
Well, being in the autobody trade fore about 25 years, I guess I can put my 2 cents worth in.<br /><br />Well, this is a new one to me, but we are not troubled by the acid rain thing.<br /><br />Im not sure what the body shop is telling you is right. (Please anyone that agrees with him fill me in"! I feel that the best thing you could do would be to put a good coat of a "PASTE" wax on as soon as you can. The Paint used on your truck was likly a urethane, and should be cured in a bake booth and is as dry as it is going to get. Acid rain will etch your paint, so you need a good heavy coat of wax on there. Do it at least twice a year. dont go through any more car washes than you have to. and use a soap made for care washing. (They will not wash off the wax). Do not use dish washing liquid unless you want to strip the old wax off before waxing again. Meguires is a good product.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Maguires is good and so is Mothers. Until just the other day I was working at a chevrolet dealer and as per our body shop and detail guy they recommended those two.<br /><br />The silverado is base coat / clear coat. Just be sure never to polish or buff through the clearcoat which is thin.<br /><br />Cortland NY great memories of fantastic deer hunting in Homer, Locke and Moravia! Nice area!<br /><br />Bob

one more cast

Captain

After having a paint repair several years ago. I was told not to wax for a couple months. Maybe its a NY thing.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I would not wax for at least a couple of months!

sangerwaker

Commander

Ditto. My brother (he's been in the biz for 30 years) has told me never to wax before 2 months after painting, even if they used a spray bake syatem, as most good shops do now. The paint is still curing for that long he tells me.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Cortland NY great memories of fantastic deer hunting in Homer, Locke and Moravia! Nice area!<br /><br />Bob
I agree, seems like there are more deer than we know what to do with! This was a big buck, $4000 worth of damage and it got up and ran away! What's up with that? :eek: <br /><br />We're supposed to be getting some snow tonight, I won't be doing any waxing for a while. Thanks for the advice guys.<br /><br />Brian

Realgun

Commander

Why did you not backup and hit him again? That was good venison gone back in the wild.<br />I belong to P.E.T.A.-People Eating Tasty Animals<br />Hard to believe all the deer back East and you have to come out west to hunt them! :) <br /><br />Hope the you were ok and not hurt in this incident. Trucks can be fixed or replaced you cannot.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> Ditto. My brother (he's been in the biz for 30 years) has told me never to wax before 2 months after painting, even if they used a spray bake syatem, as most good shops do now. The paint is still curing for that long he tells me.
One thing I have seen cause a paint failure is putting a car cover on a fresh paint job and letting it sit with it wet. Bubbled the paint right off where the cover was touching it. Never would have beleived it if I hadnt seen it.<br /><br />The old Laquer paint would do strang things if waxed too soon, but never seen a catalised paint fail from waxing too soon.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Waxing adds longevity to the paint job. I'd wait a couple months before I waxed one for a couple reasons-<br />1. To be sure the paint job has cured. If done right, with the higher end modern materials and the job came out perfect, it will cure in about 2 days. If it is somewhat less than a perfect job, or they cheated and used some of the cheaper type materials-- more time will help in the 'cure out'.<br /><br />2, And,, Its a brand new finish, it simply doesn't need waxing for awhile.<br /><br /><br />As far as the wax combining with acid rain?<br />I just don't see the Physical Science of how that can be possible. The wax will act as a barrier preventing the acids from being able to reach the clear/paint itself until the wax finally wears away and needs to be re-applied. <br /><br />If the finish looks pretty slick anyway, I'd stay away from the 'cleaner waxes'. They have a bump of rubbing compound in them--- That works sort of like million grit sand paper as you apply it. The more you use them, the thinner your finish will become.