Puter acting Funny!

Link

Rear Admiral
OS 98 sec edit w/MS windoes updates<br /><br />Problem: <br />When someone posts a URL like here on iboats<br />My puter no-longer will go there<br />Same when reading say Northern tool add and I want to read more about the product.<br /><br />What happens:<br />When I click on a URL say here. The little hand comes up like its going to load for about 30 LONG seconds then it turns back into my pointer again.<br /><br />Nothing Happens.<br /><br />Pop Up Blocker is turned off.<br /><br />Here is the BUT, there always is one ;) <br /><br />No system changes have been made, or security changes. This all started (I guess) about a week ago) I first noticed it here on iboats but no big thing. I just copied the url and opened another window to follow.<br /><br />But today I got a add from Northern Tool and the page came up fine but I could not pick a product and go look at it.<br />Email urls are the same way..<br /><br />The only software installed lately is Spyware Stromer but I really don't know if this was happening before or after I installed it. And it doesnt run in the back round anyway.<br /><br />Hope I've given enough info<br /><br />Thanks Link<br />PS Ebay works just fine

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Puter acting Funny!

Sounds like a virus or spyware, have you tried ad-aware it's free and quite good ,uninstall the Spyware stromer.<br />Or back everything up and reinstall your OS.<br />so your computer is a little older that's why your not using XP?

Link

Rear Admiral

ggoody <br />With 8 posts you have most likely heard this many times before but I will say it again. Welcome to IBOATS <br /><br />ggoody <br />
Sounds like a virus or spyware, have you tried ad-aware it's free and quite good ,<br /> Yes I have used it before and it is very good <br />uninstall the Spyware stromer.<br /> WHY! This is not a challange! But a question.. Did I just waste 30 bucks or what? Ugg BTDT before! :) or should that be a :( <br />Or back everything up and reinstall your OS.<br /> I would hope that you and others would be able to walk me through this, without re-installing a OS <br /><br />so your computer is a little older that's why your not using XP?<br /> Well in dog/cat/puter years it might be like 16 years old!! But its like only two years old in people years LIFE! <br /> [/QUOTE0]<br />TWO YEARS AGO XP did not know about my old scaner, printer, web cam or modem.. <br />Tonight I was told to go to MS and DL new drivers..<br /> :confused: Link in Lakewood

rwise

Captain

Link<br />ggoody has hit it, sounds like spy ware or another type of worm or virus. I run adaware se (update often) and spybot s/d, CW shreader may be in order also. bla bla updates bla bla www.downloads.com!!<br />Good luck<br />Richard

Link

Rear Admiral

OUCH!<br /><br />This reminds me of my own saying...<br /><br />If ya don't want to hear the answer<br />Don't ask the question!<br /><br />Couldn't it just be a click here or there? ;) <br /><br />Ok I've already cut myself a big o'le slice of Tillamook Cheese to go with my Whine!<br /><br />ggoody, Richard and EdW thanks for the help. I printed out your replies before making this one just in case...<br /><br />The bright side is that I was called back to the house today on another matter and it looks like I will have the time to work on this today, not tonight.<br /><br />Will (if I still have a OS) post in a few hours with the results! <br /><br />Bye bye Spyware stromer and my 30 clams!

Link

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the help. Here is where I am at today.<br /><br />A: uninstalled Spyware stromer<br />B: installed and ran adaware <br />C: installed and ran spybot<br />D: installed and ran CW shreader <br />E: Ran Pc-Cillen again<br /><br />Clean bill of health with all.<br /><br />Same problem still exists.<br /><br />I installed the new msn8 ? (buttery fly) version a few months ago but never tried it. Ran it last night and everything works just fine :confused: <br /><br />So since I don't like learning new software but must I'm thinking about Firefox as a good option.<br />I think Thunderbird for a mail program and just throw away msn stuff

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Link,<br /><br />Go to www.majorgeeks.com<br /><br />This site has a full list of virus' and thier effects, and a forum for asking questions. The moderators there are as knowledgable about this stuff as iboats people are about boats. If you can't find a patch or download to fix it, post the question, with description, and one of the mods will know what it is, and what to do. They have saved my computer a couple of times.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

<br /><br />So since I don't like learning new software but must I'm thinking about Firefox as a good option.<br />I [/QB]
Reinstall your operating system and of course Firefox is a good choice. :)

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Win 98 se is ok but get an upgrade. Save anyhing you need then get an XP upgrade and do it. Unless you run alot of old games in DOS it works much better. <br /> I am presuming you have an up to date Virus scanner? If not get one.<br /> After that get a book like "XP for dummies" This is nothing about you but it is fairly straight foward and anyone who wants to play with the comp.(and doesn't care if it doesn't work for awhile) it is the way to go. Like a engine, plumbing, electrical etc, if you can read then get a book and go for it.<br /> As for Firefox i would say use both. I use firefox a mjority of the time but for winupdate etc that requires IE2 then I use it.<br /> A PC(no clue about MAC) is just a simple tool if you take the time too learn it. Every year it gets better.<br /> By the way I belive if you go to IE properties(right click on the icon) and go to advance properties there is a box to check to allow the browser to go to the http clicked but since no longer use could be incorrect.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Of course we would have to know your hardware setup...Hard drive space available...Amount of Ram...XP takes a little more space and needs a little more Ram then 98.

Link

Rear Admiral

Stopped by to let you guys know I'm not ignoring your input. Busted a rib this week and have been a bit distracted :eek: <br /><br /><br />Capt. Kidd<br />Great site to learn from<br /><br />telmanmn <br />Your correct about this thing just being a tool<br /><br />ggoody<br />I will post details of puter system tomorrow.<br /><br />Right now I have to run...ok in thought only will I be running

Link

Rear Admiral

yes Yes YES!<br />All fixed now.! Thanks to all who posted and ggoody you were right on target as Richard and others said.<br /> <br />Sorry for taking so long but with this busted rib until day before yesterday I really didnt feel much like sitting at a computer.<br />I got on iboats to read a little once in a while and make a reply or two but only about 5 minutes at a time. (just to have a daily fix :D )Havent checked email until today for 7 days.<br /><br />ggoody<br />The only reason I've stuck with 98 SE is because the Military ID card reader does not like 2000 or above! And Mrs.Link has needed this. Its not a Military thing.. its a stupid Michael Moore Civilian private company thing..<br />We have a 60 GIG data drive only (D) for pics, word, excell etc <br />I just bought a plug in HD system. <br />Two drives will have XPPRO with only the stuff we each need and the third will have 98 sec ed for her military stuff.<br />Thanks for your help<br /><br /><br />Link