sailing schools

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for a good sailing school in San Diego Ca. I would like some feed back on one I've found called San Diego Sailing Academy.<br /><br />Tell me every thing you know about sailing schools and what to look for and watch out for...

18rabbit

Captain
Re: sailing schools

It has been many years since I took a ride on a sailboat. Loved it, but I can’t get past my love of diesel fumes. Maybe I need therapy. From what very little I know about sailing in the Pacific Ocean, it comes in two flavors, calm and wicked cool. :) <br /><br />I was told that learning to sail in a protect environment such as the San Francisco bay is un-realistic to what sailing in the exposed ocean is like. Don’t know about San Diego. Depending on your goals, you might want to find a school that teaches in the open ocean and time your lessons to the weather/ocean conditions that most approximate your expectations. Also, some schools allow you to stay/live on the boat during the class session(s) of 1 or more weeks. This affords back-to-back days of experience that you cannot get with weekend classes.<br /><br />The west coast is littered with something called the Marine Yellow Pages. If you don’t get the input you need on this forum, you might request a copy (free) and call some schools and start asking questions.<br /><br /> http://www.marineyellowpages.com/print/

c250waterboy

Recruit

While I'm not familiar with SDSA per se, their web site shows both ASA (American Sailing Association) and USS (United States Sailing) logos. Each is a accrediting body for sailing instruction in the US, and any school up to their standards should be sufficient. This being said, there is a great deal of variation despite accreditation, and one would be advised to research the reputation of individual schools. I've taken two USS courses from a school sailing in SF Bay, and was quite pleased. One doesn't go take a bluewater sailing course without considerable experience any more than one would take a Himalayan mountain climbing course without experience - it's possible, but ill-advised to say the least.<br /><br />US Sailing's progression is, I believe, five courses, each about a week long. Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Cruising, Coastal Cruising, and Passage Making.<br /><br />18rabbit's statement that "learning to sail in a protect environment such as the San Francisco bay is un-realistic to what sailing in the exposed ocean is like" is interesting. While he's correct in comaparison to open-ocean sailing ('bluewater' in sailing parlance), SF Bay should in NO WAY be considered 'a protected environment'. If you can sail SF Bay well, you can sail almost anyplace in the world. SF Bay has cold water, significant tides and currents, high winds, steep waves, fog, active shipping lanes, derelict piers, shallows and numerous other obstacles including other watercraft ranging from drunken idiots in powerboats to those big gray ships with guns. This, IMHO, makes SF Bay a great place to learn.<br /><br />I encourage you to go get instruction that is both quality and challenging. During a discussion of the cost of sailing courses, one boat owner offered "don't sweat the cost of instruction. I spent lots more than that the first time I broke something because I didn't know what I was doing."<br /><br />Go for it, it's hoot.

18rabbit

Captain

Thanks for the update, Waterboy. I inquired into sailing school over 10-years ago. At that time I lived ½ way between S.F. and Monterey Bays and could go either way. Everyone (except the SF schools) said go to Monterey Bay for the reason I mentioned.<br /><br />I never did go so I don’t know squat about sailing, but the SF Bay has enough variety to keep a power boater busy. :) <br /><br />What about the idea of a continuous week of sailing school compared to a series of weekend classes?

c250waterboy

Recruit

A week straight vs weekends? I guess that depends on one's schedule. The school I went to (OCSC) offered both. I went for the week long courses - you get an extra day of instruction and sailing, but if the weather is 'bad' that week it can be a disadvantage. The bay is certainly less crowded on weekdays. A week straight of sailing can be tiring; in July, when the winds crank in from the gate consistently at 20kts+, I came back bruised and was a bit peaked. Locals tended to take the wekend classes; folks flying in to take the course did the week.<br /><br />'can't stand the stench of diesel ... turn that stinker off! (j/k, a good engine can be a lifesaver)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I picked up sailing by doing it in small boats as I grew up. I'm sure a sailing school would have helped. I really learned how to sail though by crewing on a couple of boats at local club races for many years. I learned more about sail trim than was healthy, but always enjoyed keeping the boat moving the best it could.<br />BTW I've always heard SF Bay can be a bit of a challange just for the reasons waterboy stated. Their is nothing like dealing with all of the variables to hone your skills.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Thank's guys, I have researched the school thoroughly and I think we will be pleased, like one of you said a week straight sailing on the water will tough, I've had just a daysail wear me out. Oh well, Were looking forward to it! As long as there is a curriculum to keep us busy<br />It's kind of hard to any sailing in, up here in Flagstaff, so we will be visiting the coast often I hope, We also have a local lake in Phoenix that offers quite a bit of sailing for those quick fixes. Were suppose to have our ASA101/103/104. All in six days.. Needless to say We've been doing a lot of reading

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

It's been a while since I've been in this forum, we spent our week on the live a board in San Diego and it was a lot to cram in a week but with a little experience before hand which we had,it went smooth. We feel confident to go to say the BVI'S and charter now, which by the way was recomended. Since we are closer to California we want to try a trip to Catalina first. Also may try S.F. bay when we travel up there.<br />18rabbit can you recomend any rentals in the area?

18rabbit

Captain

Curtis66 - Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I don’t sail (wish I did) so I don’t frequent this forum. You might look at ‘Charters’ in the ‘Advertisers Links’ for Latitude 38, a free local publication for sailboaters. http://www.latitude38.com/ Also, you can call some of the marinas listed in those links and ask them to recommend something. And, of course, Club Nautique is here. They rent boats, sized according to your experience, etc. Maybe you should check with some of the links under Schools/Clubs, too, see what they have available. Good luck! :)

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks 18rabbit, we went to San Francisco two weeks ago but didn't have time for any sailing, just sight seeing but thank's again for your help.