bowsprit?

pahuac

Cadet
A previous owner of my 1954 wooden fractional rig sloop added a bowsprit and moved 85 cms. forward the forestay, but did not change the size nor shape of the sails. I am considering removing the bowsprit and wonder what effect - if any - this change may have on my pointing or speed performance.<br />Another change made was the removal of the traditional long keel, replacing it with a fin keel.<br /><br />Thanks ;)

flashback

Captain
Re: bowsprit?

with the changes already made to the boat, and you don't really know what the boat was like in the past, it is impossible to say how it will react without the bow sprit. I don,t know how anyone would be able to remove a full keel and replace it with a fin keel, but in fact if they did do this to the boat, it most certainly would have changed the center of effort, which may be why they put the sprit on the boat. in most cases the CE would be fwd and you would run a cutter rig to compensate. but you haven,t said wheather you have a cutter or not ........need length,beam,rig,etc ,etc,etc .............goodluck

pahuac

Cadet

Thanks.<br />Unfortunately I cannot get in touch with who made the change, but me and my friends do remember this boat with full (maybe skeg) keel.<br />My guess is that the intention was to allow it to point higher but it does not seem to accomplish it. 48/50º with the genoa is very common.<br />To complete the data:<br />LOA 30.3'<br />LWL 26'<br />Beam 8.8'<br />Displacement 11,674 lbs<br />I = 30.41'<br />J = 12.3' (to end of bowsprit)<br />P = 37.1'<br />E = 15.3'<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /> ;)

flashback

Captain

Pahauc, not being a nautical engineer, i can.t give you an answer. the measurements you gave are in the realm of standard for the length,width,and weight, although the weight is a little heavy fo r a 30'boat. but a critical measurement is the placement of the keel. I had a 24' dingy, can't remember the brand name. but we moved the keel (fin keel) back 5 inches and made the boat a lot faster down wind and did'nt hurt it up wind any that i could tell. the one thing I know about pointing is keep the sails flat and hauled close.. if the port and starboard chains are fastened to the hull, you can't trim the head sail in as far as if the chains are fastened to an interior bulkhead..... but which one would you want to have in a bad storm...???? sailing is a variety of variables ........pick it right and you win....... to me it is like rolling dice...thats why I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillP

Captain

1954 fractional rig...If the boat is really making (footing) 48/50 (total 100 right?)you are doing fine. I wouldn't touch anything on the rig with that performance... <br /><br />My last cruising sailboat: <br />1936 Mitchell cutter<br />30' DWL (designed waterline length)<br />12' beam<br />5' draft<br />24,000lb displacement<br /><br />Hey, I see you are from Lima...I spent a few weeks in Miraflores back in the 60s. We surfed out of a beach club (Makaha?)there . Are the beach clubs still there? Wow, I've always wanted to go back.

pahuac

Cadet

Thanks for all your advise and hope you can make it back to Lima sometime. I am not a surfer myself and at my age (60) will not give it a try, but the clubs and the waves are still there and we could always have fun sailing.<br />I will experiment some and let you know the results.<br /><br />Best regards,<br /> :cool:

pahuac

Cadet

Thanks Flashback.<br />I will not move the keel again but will experiment moving back the tack and the genoa lead outwards. Unfortunately even though we have no storms, I will have to keep the chains ahjusted to the hull and therefore will not be able to trim the genoa as much as desired. Maybe the next change would be to shorten the spreads a bit.<br /><br />Regards,