Confirm me on the Multimeter

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I always get confused when checking Ohms on my multimeter.<br /><br />When on 20k or 200k ohms, I multiply the reading by 1000, correct? It is the same multipler regardless if on 20K or 200K, yes?<br /><br />Same thing for 20M or 200M, multiply my 1,000,000???<br /><br />Thanks for enlightening my forgetful mind.<br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Confirm me on the Multimeter

1000 Ohms = 1 k<br /><br />1000 k = 1 m<br /><br />Therfore 1m = 1,000,000 Ohms<br /><br />Thats why most of the time the multimeter reads as (example) 0.002k. Its saying 2 Ohms - not very accurate. If you don't have self range I suggest you select Ohms, not k or m.<br /><br />In terms of accuracy (milli-ohms)in the auto industry, I can't think of a situation that requires k or m.<br /><br />Aldo

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on how the meter reads, Ken. <br />This is an analog needle style meter? Sounds like it is. Depends on if there are separate scales for each range. I'm probably making this way too complicated here, but 20K & 200K are different ranges read on different or same scale? It is the same kind of deal for MegOhms right? Been way too long for me to guess, and it probably really depends on which meter you have anyway.<br />IF- BIG IF- 20M and 200M are on different ranges, AND IF the 20M range is giving you a reading of say, 18.0 for some measurement it will be multiplied by a million to read megohms. Switch to 200 MegOhm range measuring the same thing and it tells you something pretty close to 1.8 then you multiply by ten million to read megohms. OR, if it still reads close to 18 with much less resolution then still just multiply by a million. Clear as mud I'm sure. Its too late, my brain is shutting down. Hope this helps, but if not just holler again. Maybe someone with a few more active brain cells will answer. :) EDIT: looks like I was slow at the keyboard again- another good answer jumped up while I was typing.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Sorry I didnt explain it, but this is a digital readout multimeter.<br /><br />My multimeter has:<br />ohms setting (no multiplier)-it beeps when it has less than 20 ohms to give an audio confirmation of continuity.<br />2K<br />20K<br />20M<br />200M<br /><br />I think yall have answered my questions. I need to pull out a couple of resistors and check my readout again, just to remind myself how to use this thing.<br /><br />Ken

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ken; these are ranges ,2k----200k, always start at a high range ,to get the most acc.reading get your reading in the middle of the scale..