Laptop keyboard problem. Ya'll can breath deep now!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
My daughters laptop was just infected with a commercial virus called Sandbox. It loads up all kinds of programs and toolbars and plagues you silly with popups. I got all that stuff deleted but now I cannot type anything. Everything else works ok. There must be some windows xp function or keystroke that will reactivate the keyboard. Any suggestions? I can't even type any queries in Help.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Laptop keyboard problem. Ya'll can breath deep now!

Did you try plugging an external keyboard into the back to see if that worked?<br /><br />(if you have one)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It's worth a go. I'll get after it.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal, your keyboard has it's own driver, and then I hit send by mistake, see next message,,,,,,

SlowlySinking

Boomyal, your keyboard has it's own driver, if it's missing a reboot should do the trick to reinstall it, if not try click on START, CONTROL PANEL, KEYBOARD, HARDWARE tab, and TROUBLESHOOT, the odds are the keyboard driver is missing or corrupted in which case you need to remove and reinstall it, XP keeps copies of drivers on the hard drive and XP will find and install it. good luck.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

SlowlySinking, the keyboard does have the dreaded yellow sign in device manager. After uninstalling it and rebooting it comes back the same way.<br /><br />Trying to reinstall it via 'add hardware' the message reads that the registry is either corrupted or has missing components. It then takes you to a trouble shooting screen where I can't enter anything into the search box. <br /><br />Doesn't XP have a function to revert to a previous configuration? I haven't tried Toads suggestion of trying an external keyboard but I don't know what that would yield me if it worked.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, you can go to Progams, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore...and do a system restore to a point in time that you know everything worked properly. There will be a default "time" at the point of the last change you made to your system. You can either choose it...or any other time you wish. I have done it a couple of times and it has fixed my problems. Good luck!

SlowlySinking

The restore process will fix the problem but you will likely lose everything done on the computer from today back to that date. You could also try this first, START, CONTROL PANEL, KEYBOARD, HARDWARE tab, PROPERTIES, DRIVER, and UNINSTALL. This removes the corrupt keyboard driver and when you reboot win XP will install a fresh good copy, this should solve this problem depending on how bad the registry is screwed up. I would suggest you buy a copy of a program like Norton System Works and then use AUTO UPDATE which keep your virus definitions up to date, NSW will also fix registry problems and a host of other computer problems. It even keeps WIN ME working on my spare laptop, ME is the (M)isery (E)dition of windows. I would upgrade but the unit was designed for ME and other versions won't install. Good luck,,,,,,,,, PS: NSW also includes a GO BACK restore program that works better that the WIN version since it's available even if the computer won't reboot into WIN.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I tried the restore function but it did not work. It only gave me three restore options from yesterday (9th) and none prior to that. I picked the earliest time listed and ran it to no avail. I then undid the restore after I saw all the files it sidelined. I'm wondering if a program called 'reg mechanic' would work. They claim they can discover and fix corrupted and missing entries.<br /><br />The other question is whether XP has a repair function on the installation disc. My daughter is not home right now so I don't know where the disc is.

SlowlySinking

I would think that the reg repair program would take care of the problem. My computers with XP were all pre-installed and the CD-rom's are for restore only, they don't have any user accessible files such as you mentioned, hopefully your daughters XP CD does. You could try START, HELP and SUPPORT, and type REGISTRY REPAIR in the window, if you try this believe the warnings and follow the instructions carefully. Obviously a commercial program will do this easier and hopefully safer. Good luck,,

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SlowlySinking:<br /> You could try START, HELP and SUPPORT, and type REGISTRY REPAIR in the window,
Thanks SlSi. I think 'type' is the operative word here. :D not gonna happen. I'm rootin around to find a USB external keyboard to try. If that works, I'll be able to try all you suggested. Thanks

Xcusme

Commander

Boomyal,<br />What's the make and model number of that laptop?? If I remember right, weren't you having problems with a driver issue??<br /><br />Yup,OK... went back and found your previous post....<br /><br />Still, ...make and model??<br /><br />edit: Duuh, this IS the other post..!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It's an IBM thinkpad A31, running XP. No XP CD came with the computer, It's supposed to have an imbedded I386? dir that has all the critical settings??

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Xcusme, I down loaded the Keyboard diagnosis program. After making mustiple attempts to get thru it I finally made it to the end. Upshot is, according to IBM, is that it is a windows problem. I booted to the bios and confirmed that the keyboard worked there. It appears that whatever allows the keyboard driver to work, in the registry is corrupt. Reloading the driver does no good. Might have to let my fingers do the walking tomorrow. I have to keep kicking my daughter off of my computer.

SlowlySinking

Sounds like it's time to try the registry repair program. One other suggestion, go back to the yellow question mark, uninstall the keyboard driver, reboot the computer and XP should reinstall it. Hopefully that'll fix the problem and the registry. You could look at it this way, it barely useable so what have you got to lose? I would of course back up everything you like before you try this.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SlowlySinking:<br /> Sounds like it's time to try the registry repair program. One other suggestion, go back to the yellow question mark, uninstall the keyboard driver, reboot the computer and XP should reinstall it. Hopefully that'll fix the problem and the registry. You could look at it this way, it barely useable so what have you got to lose? I would of course back up everything you like before you try this.
I did the uninstall and reinstall, SS, but no go. Also tried the Restore function to no avail. The keyboard does work in the bios, so it's not a bad keyboard. When in windows, if you hit any key it will even lock up the mouse.<br /><br />I've got to find out why her computer did not come with an XP disc. She bought it thru a University and they say it did not come with the disc. Paid nearly 2k w/ a few accesories, a year and a half ago.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Just ran across one called reghealer(shareware). Might they work? Can you create problems with them?

Xcusme

Commander

Try one more thing before you Nuke the registry...<br />Upon starting the laptop, start banging on the F8 key. This should bring up an alternate menu. See if you have an option to startup in Safe mode. After you get to the desktop, goto control panel and click on System,Device Manager,Hardware.<br />Drop down to the keyboard and uninstall the keyboard. Close Device Manager and get back to Control Panel. Click on Add /Remove Hardware. Hopefully Windows will find the 'new' keyboard hardware and install the driver.<br /><br />It really hacks my A$$ that companies only give you a 'Restore CD' and not a real working copy of the OS. BTW, if you have a real WinXP cd laying around (borrow/steal as needed) insert and tell Windows to search for the driver off of the 'borrowed' CD, you might get lucky and it will be a standard driver.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Xcusme:<br /> BTW, if you have a real WinXP cd laying around (borrow/steal as needed) insert and tell Windows to search for the driver off of the 'borrowed' CD, you might get lucky and it will be a standard driver.
I do have the XP Pro CD for my computer. With MS being so tough on multiple uses, I didn't think to try it. I'll also try to reinstall in safe mode first.