Air Compressor

Stratosfied

Ensign
I need to buy an air compressor to run a DA sander to work on my boat. I will not be using much after that other than usual home use. My question is how big do I need? I have found locally a 1HP with a 3 gallon tank has a very attractive price. Any Suggestions will be helpful. Thanks in Advance.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Air Compressor

take the CFM requirements of your sander and use it as your buying guide. Air sanders are quite demanding and will require atleast a REAL 2hp compressor. (8-12cfm @ 100psi)

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, a sander is going to use alot of air. You're going to be better off with an electric one if this is the only project you're using it on. You need a BIG compressor along with a BIG air tank. My 2hp/6 gallon compressor still wouldn't come close to powering a sander for more than a couple minutes. Keep in mind that 99% of compressors aren't what their rated HP says. That's peak hp and only lasts for a second or two. Mine is rated for 2hp, and clearly says ont the side, "120v, 10 amps". That only 1.6hp.

ndemge

Commander

Know anyone with a large 220v Compressor?.. That's what your going to need if your doing the entire boat, or wait a long time for small compressor to keep up.<br /><br />Check Rental Centers around you, but air tools are very handy, I'd get a large one and keep it :) I have a small one as that's all my budget allows, so if your in the same boat as I, you either borrow the use of someone's big one, or wait FOREVER to do things in your own garage because you have a cambell hausfield walmart POS :)

LubeDude

Admiral

If you are going to run a sander for more than just a few minutes, like maybe sanding a boat or a car to paint, You need at least a 5 HP (2 stage) compressor. You will burn anything else up! or you will create a lot of heat and have serious water problems in the air line.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I have a 6HP/60 gallon job and it just keeps up with a DA run at full speed...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When I have a big job that requires a lot of volume of air, I rent or borrow a bigger compressor. To me its not worth the money for a compressor that can keep up with a DA without being overworked. <br /><br />Just a thought

SoulWinner

Commander

First off, duty cycle is important. I have the second largest compressor offered by Home depot, it is 100% duty cycle, and pushes 10.3 cfm @ 90 psi. At that demand the compressor runs comtinuously, but keeps up. I wish I had bought the big hinking one for $400 more. The bigger one os two stage, and can keep up with a sand blaster :eek: This is a purchase that you really can't spend too much on. Trust me, once you have a compressor, it will be used a LOT more than you think. You'l end up with all sorts of air tools and use them everything. Compressors are cool :D