Anyone here shoot trap & skeet?

ezbtr

Commander
Am stopping by range tonight after work to shoot some, got 12 ga.s in Jeep. Wondered if anyone here shoots too? I'm using 12 ga. 28' Winchester pump with Winchokes and 12 ga. double barrel 18" for skeet. Heinz

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anyone here shoot trap & skeet?

Heinz,<br />I shoot a little skeet. Where is this range at? I live near you and the closest range I know of is up in winters by lake berryessa. I live pretty close and my wife works in walnut creek. I would rather drive over the benica bridge than all the way up to the yolo sportsman. Do they have a rifle range where you shoot. Thanks

ezbtr

Commander

Hey bluewater, range for trap & skeet ONLY is off Marina Vista, going south on 680, hang right off fwy., and got right to Martinez dump, you'll see sign on left. Real nice, even serve burgers etc and beer(after shooting). Martinez is oldest range in US. Also for pistol and rifle shooting there is one in Baypoint/Concord border off Willow Pass and 4 and my favorite is little longer drive to Richmond Rod and Gun club, take 4 to 80 and first exit. Follow down about 4 miles to sign on right. You can also launch boat from there to right into Bay. Let me know how it goes, Heinz

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a tosser that I use out in the pasture once in a while.<br /><br />20ga. Browning Citori Super Light. Invector plus.<br /><br />If I were that bad at hitting pheasants I would hang it up. :D

Stratosfied

Ensign

Heinz, While in HS some 20+ yrs ago I shot Trap competitively with a fellow classmate who is currently on the US Team and will be in His fourth Olympics this year! He won the bronze last go round. Then, my choice was a Remington 1100 Trap Grade..A good shooter. Then I wanted an O/u. Went to a 3200 Remington that Kicked like a mad mule. Got into the Southwestern Zone shoot and needed to make up 6 targets on the last 100. A man let me use his Browning BT99 and I went on to win the Shoot. Now I get out about 4 times a year to shoot trap but mostly Sporting clays. I use a Browning A5 Light 12 with the invector chokes. Sometimes, I will shoot my 20 ga Wingmaster. It is a great sport and I wish that I had more funds available to enjoy it more often. Have fun! and Be Careful! ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont do it too often, but man is it fun.<br /><br />I prefer a 20 gauge, cause after a few rounds the shoulder starts to hurt with a 12. Also lighter and easier to swing. And cheaper.<br /><br />I also like to use a pump shotgun. When using a double barrel I always miss the second bird. Pumping makes me re set and then I can get the second bird.<br /><br />Some people close one eye, others keep both open. Give it a try both ways to see which one is best.<br /><br />Ken

Stratosfied

Ensign

Ken I have to agree with you about how important the eyes are in this sport. If anyone is to get serious about shooting it would be in their best interest to find out which eye is dominant. You may be right handed but left eye dominant. Finding out early will save you alot of targets and frustration. The ATA used to have a book out written probally around 1967 or so which had all kinds of(for the time) cutting edge photos of how to correctly position the front of the gun in relation to the moving target. Also spend some time with someone who shoots in competitions who will be able to help see little faults in your stance or body movements and gun positioning. I have played in alot of (for my budget) high stakes golf matches. The pressure of needing a long putt is nothing compared to needing to break the last target. Most people who start out in trap usually try to shoot the target too quickly. Its a fun sport but my body as be punished for shooting so much so young. Now, for all practical purposes, I just shoot my pistols the most. Have fun and Shoot more, shoot more often!

ezbtr

Commander

Boy guys thanks for replies! I wwent tonight on way home and guess what? With my infamous Winchester 12 ga.(had since 17 w/ vent rib bbl)) w/ 3 choke Winchokes, I used medium choke(usual w 28" barrel) and I got approx. 18 outta 25!!!! Dang I HAVENT lost it! :) LOL Been about 7-8 yrs easy since on trap range , but when me and my brother were growin up, thats what kept us out of trouble(mostly)shootin in local S. CA mtns. twds. Elsinore off cliffs. man she pointed JUST right......whammm! The misses were due to ME, not huggin in like I should. Was on single shot range with 4 other REAL nice older guys, I says to them , "been awhile", they say lets go!!!!!!!!!! We'll make ya remember! Ok here's the good part.............after not gettin my butt kicked :) , I ask em what hey all think of my dbl bbl. 12 ga coach gun on trap.....boy did i get a few good natured laffs! So I pull it outta Jeep and they say to use full choke bbl(dbl bbl 12 ga. 18" twin triggers, 3 lbs, NO rubber butt, all STEEL and kicks like MoFo!) Well dam if I didnt get some!Full. bbl. not bad but NO excuses for late shot, 2nd med. bbl. you better KNOW were pigeon is going BEFORE and HAMMER IT - got a FEW with med choke, but really tho, if you put your mind to it and POINT full bbl, you CAN get em! Was a GREAT evening , met some great ole guys, who re explained trap ettiquette to me and were more than willin to assist! I think Im joinin club for $100 a yr including FAMILY bbqs etc. And DAMN isn't it nice that it's on way HOME from work! LOL :) YEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Heinz

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

A few years ago a contractor friend decided to have a bar-b-que for friends, employees, suppliers, etc. He has about 15 acres of vacant land so he decided to buy a launcher/thrower and mount it on a flatbed trailer. He made everybody stand behind the trailer and we shot all afternoon. Thankfully nobody was shot or injured. Guns & alcohol.....nowhere but Texas!<br />That was the first time I ever tried it but I really liked it. One of these days I'm going to see if there are any clubs around here to join.

ezbtr

Commander

Yeah it was fun, they even have burgers, beer, full bar :) #1 rule is as soon as you open a beer, you are done shootin for day:) I'm going to make it a regular Weds. p.m. event.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Heinz, if you start shooting regular, you may want to look at get a reloader. I know nothing about rifle/handgun reloading but for shotguns, the reloading equipment is very reasonable. It is also pretty easy to do. The best I can remember is that in 1982 a case(500 rds) of AA trap loads cost about $120.00(with the volume discount) you could reload the same amount for about $55.00. Now I know that the money would be different now but I imagine that the ratio would be about the same. Good Luck and Let me know if I can help.

ezbtr

Commander

Yeah years ago when me and my brother and buddies had more TIME(note, NO kids, wives) we used to reload 12 ga. I may start up again to save some dough, I shot 50 rds yest and ammo cost me $7.00, not too bad. Thanks, Heinz

D

DJ

Stratosfied,<br /><br />You could not be more right about the eyes. I do EVERYTHING right handed, except shoot. My youngest son is the same way.<br /><br />I shoot a Ruger Red Label O/U or a Winchester 101 O/U, both in 12.<br /><br />Both are fixed chokes at imp.cyl./mod. I have several autos and pumps, yet I only own one "true" left handed gun (except I changed the safeties-of course), thus I do not like doing a lot of shooting with them because of the ejected shells flying out in front of my eyes.<br /><br />The only auto I shoot alot with is an Ithaca 16. It ejects from the left. But, being a sixteen, it's $$$$$ to shoot. It is a sweetheart though-smooth as silk.<br /><br />I stock up on 12's at Wallyworld when they go on sale. Bought two cases last year at $2.75/box for 2-3/4" #8's. I use to reload, but do not have the time now.

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I shoot trap often in the spring and summer months. Shot 24 numerous times in tha past 20 years, never got 25. I now shoot trap with the gun held at my waist and mount and shoot after the bird flies - best score is 22 using that method. Our club is $40 per year and we have trap, skeet, clays, 5 stand, pistol range, rifle range, 3D archery, and an indoor range for small bore in the winter months. I don't get there near enough!

ezbtr

Commander

Thats a great price for a COMPLETE range! Here we just shoot trap, and skeet and have duck towers as well. Real nice place though,to be a memeber is $100 per yr(1/2 if I get someone else in) I got my 5 yr old hooked on it this past Sunday(watching safely) and he's gonna go with me tonight after work too! He's buggin me to do skeet, so I will :) . I've tried what you said (having gun at waist level) and I'll have to try again to see results. Take care, Heinz

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heinz<br />The clubhouse is just a big old room with tables and chairs. bar or restaurant but we like it. My 10 year old daughter is going to trey this year - I bought her a 20 gauge Winchester 1300 youth model and she wants to put the hurt on some ducks. I took her to the gun club last summer with a Friend's youth model Howa .243. Never shot a rifle before. I ahd her dryfire a couple times to get the feel of it. Had her load one at a time, get a good sight picture, let her breath out and squeeze off. Skinny little girl, gymnast for 8 of her 10 years. First 5 shots you could have covered with the bottom of a Coke can. I figured that was good enough for the first time out - you know what they say "those who cannot do.....Teach!<br />What part of CA are you in? 6 or 7 years ago I was in Palm Springs on business for ten days (in February, hehehe) and shot clays down in the canyons just outside town.<br />See ya<br />bill

ezbtr

Commander

Yeaj this clubhouse a BIG romm capable of feeding maybe 200 folks, full bar, full gunsmith, trap skeet and duck towers, just got back w 5 yr old shootin skeet - got my butt kicked, maybe 12 outta 25, been 12 yrs.<br /> :) <br />and never did much skeet, trap my deal:) My girls now 15 and 18 were shootin when they were maybe 7 and 10, 12 ga(little bit), .22's etc. Oldest one almost outshot me last yr with MY sks! Im in Concord(N. CA.) for last 5 yrs, love it. Grew up in S. CA., Orange County, but no PS WELL, Mom has a house there and I grew up shootin/hunting offroading out there too, gets HOT! Take care, and Im goin to range twice a week now :) !

Stratosfied

Ensign

Back in the day, The University Of Southern Miss. offered Trap Shooting as a PE elective. They were taught the basics at the school but took the "Lab" at our range. Every time the girls scored better than the boys. We fiqured that they were open to instruction better than the guys who thought that they already knew how to do everything. I got a lot of laughs outta watching that. Have Fun!