95' Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 L

ob

Admiral
Anyone experienced any issues with sticking hydraulic valve lash adjusters on this engine?Engine in question is experiencing what seems to be rocker arm tapping on # 1 cylinder.Vehicle currently has 78,000 mi.It is more pronounced when engine is cold at idle speed.Worth trying any oil additives before tearing into it?Any input is appreciated.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: 95' Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 L

What weight oil are you using and have used in the past,what kind of service has the vehicle received? Marvel Mystery Oil is the only additive I ever recomend as a cleaner.

ob

Admiral

Thanks for the response.Been using 10W 30 semi-synthetic and it gets a change every 2000 miles.Haven't tried any system additive as of yet and wanted to get some feedback as to what may be the best to try and free up the sticky adjuster.Also don't know if the 3.2 engine is notorious for this issue or if my situation is just a luck of the draw.I've heard some good things about marvel mystery oil but have never used it myself.Perhaps I'll give it a go.Any other feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

LubeDude

Admiral

The 3,2s are notorious for sluging up, but I couldnt imabine with the service this vehicle has received and with the oil you are using, that this could be the issue.<br /><br />Does the sound ever go away? At my next oil change, I wouls put in Chevron Dello 400 15W-40 or Penzoil Long Life 15W-40 and see what it does, In your climate you can run it all year long. The Dello 400 Is nearly a synthetic according to the courts, as it is a hydrocracked highly refined oil and will do a great job for you!

ob

Admiral

Yeah,LubeDude ,it does get a bit quieter as the engine warms up.I'm guessing due to metal expansion and clearances reducing some on the overhead cam setup.So you think a shot of MMO might do the trick?How much would you put in? The oil capacity with filter change is 5.7 quarts.

LubeDude

Admiral

First off, I dont think your engine is gummed up with the care you have given it. Can you get your finger inside the valve cover through the oil fill cap? If so run your finger around inside, or shine a light inside amd look around. It should just have a bronze look to it. If it is black and rough looking then you could put in 16 FL. OZ. of MMO. Dont worry about overfilling, as an extra 16 OZ. isnt going to hut anything as long as its not overfilled now. I would think your engine to be clean though and if you do not see noticable signs of gunk, then I would go with the Dello 400 15W-40. Its also a very high deturgent and will clean things out also!

ob

Admiral

Update......Changed the oil and filter and added 12 oz of MMO and drove for 15 minutes down the freeway.Came home and let engine cool down for a spell.Restarted and "viola" no click from rocker assy.Must have been some small piece of trash between the adjuster plunger or something.That's the first time that any liquid product has remedied any engine issue I've had.Thanks for the MMO tip Lubedude.It worked it's marvel in my situation.

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, we will see how it is after sitting all night and you start it in the morning!<br /><br />Most products you buy over the counter that say they will quiet noisy lifters and such are nothing more than Kerosene! Not sure what MMO really is, All I know is that it works sometimes. Its also good in your gas tank, as it lubricates and cleans your fuel injectors. Some say they can hear the difference, But I sometimes think its a placibo effect! Glad it worked for you! Honestly its not a bad Idea to do it everytime you change your oil. It absolutly will do no harm, and its cheap compared to other things. Not necesary with synthetics though! 16 Oz. is all I would recomend, as I wouldnt want to upset the balance of additives in your oil any more than that!

ob

Admiral

Update for LubeDude.The tapping noise is vammoose,gone ,as in ain't there no more.Can't says I'm disappointed about not having to perform surgery.Thanks again.