Computer questions

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class
1)Is there a way to remove all previously stored passwords, address, credit card numbers etc from the computer?<br />2) Is there a way to remove just part of the above mentioned, rather than all of it?<br /><br />Thanks,

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Computer questions

it depends where they were stored. of course, you want to erase any files they were written to, and empty the recycling bin. if you're talking the internet, i would erase all cookies and temp internet files. to a trained professional, the info may still be out there. if you're really concerned, i think you need to wipe the hard drive to be sure. burning it would probably work as well...

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah, think I just found it, >Tools, >Internet options, > Content, >Auto complete, >Clear forms, >clear passwords.<br />Also deleted cookies and temp internet files. Hope that's all!

11 footer

Lieutenant

I burned my last computer, they don't have nothing on me now :D <br /><br />Only reason I did it was because it was old and wortheless, I don't think I would have done it if the computer was still good.

Homerr

Commander

Dhud...<br /><br />Simply deleting those files does NOT get rid of them. They are still on your hard drive and intact. The trained individual or determined hacker can still get to it if you are not fire-walled, or someone has physical access to your computer.<br /><br />Find a program called "ENCASE"... <br />It's software that law enforcement use (or did use) that recovers that deleted information.<br />Encase can scan sector by sector of your hard drive and find deleted files. Once found, you can view them and delete them for good.<br /><br />It takes a bit to learn the program, but if you're worried about your computer being compromised, you might want to give it a shot.<br /><br />I learned about it from a web site that deals with being totally anonymous on the internet.<br />I was amazed how much stuff was still left on my hardrive AFTER I deleted it and used other so-called "cleaner" programs.<br /><br />There may be other types of 'cop' software like Encase. Search the net.<br /><br />You could also re-format your drive. That will get rid of the information too, but it will obviously wipe out everything else.<br /><br />Windows is notorious for leaving stuff all over and never really gets rid of stuff.<br />For most of us, cleaning the cache, recycle bin, and temp files is usually sufficient.<br />There's lots of information on the net about this issue, just do a Google search.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />H.

Xcusme

Commander

This site has a lot of good reading....This link has been out there for awhile , but is a good starting point.....<br /><br />I can't post the link, iboats filtering won't allow it, but, do a Google search for:<br />"microsoft's really hidden files". The link is the first one returned....

Xcusme

Commander

;) Thanks SBN, I figured that page would be mirrored somewhere with a less risqué URL.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Non-Boating Tech.

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, that is good reading.<br />Homerr-- Thanks, But I recently had a go-round with ENCASE. I don't know how it got on my computer, but I kept getting wierd pop up messages from them. That program was hard to get rid of! But, as you indicated, it takes a bit to learn the program, which at the time I was so annoyed I didn't even try to learn it. I just wanted it gone!

Homerr

Commander

It didn't get on your computer by itself!<br />Are you in a situation that allows others access to your computer?<br /><br />I never got any pop-ups from Encase, but I got the program from an anonymous site, so it could have been either an older version or one that has your spy-ware removed.<br /><br />Go here for information about staying anonymous:<br /><br /> Ultimate Anonymity <br /><br />I signed up with this place a long time ago. The fee was very low and you have lifetime access.<br />The reading alone was worth it, as well as the programs they offer.<br /><br />H.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

most simple/effective/permanent thing to do here<br />is to remove the hard drive and replace it with<br />a new one. they are cheap enuff and you'll NEVER<br />have to worry about it, ever!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

That is an interesting read. Ok Ok I didn't read it all word for word but it was still interesting. Especially the lengths one would have to go to trully wipe your tracks from an informed snoop. I guess that history file is like a lock...It is only there to keep an honest person out. :(

Homerr

Commander

Another thing to consider: Linux operating system.<br /><br />I'm going to Linux when I build my new system.<br />Actually I'm doing a dual-boot Windows and Linux until I get good at Linux. Then Winblows is getting the format c:/.<br /><br />Linux isn't 100% safe either, but it's far more secure than Windows will ever be.<br /><br />H.